Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Yep, I'm keeping them alright. I have three at the moment one is about 2 inches, one is like 3 inches, one is about 4 inches. So yeah!! x_x What i gotta do to keep them up till they are grown up? Recently I have gotten nitrite readings..the first time was yesterday night, 0.25, did a good 50% water change, added 60 ml amquel and novaqua to my 55 gallon, used a capful of prime for 50 gallons, so far so good they were looking okay, until morning, fish are gasping, 0.50 nitrite (what the...)deciding to do a 70% water change. and add water conditioners and prime? ahhh I need some help here. I NEEDA DISCUS EXPERTOSS THANK YOUUU now back to my wc ;my python's working on it...dont want to 80% water change now -_-

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
what are the water parameters now? how is the ammonia,nitrite and nitrate.?

is this an established tank or are you using a qt tank?
you are showing nitrites that is not a good sign.you will need to do water changes to keep nitrites in check,

what is the water temp?

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
If you have nitrites then the tank is not cycled or is going through a re-cycle. There should not be any discus in an uncycled tank.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
If you have nitrites then the tank is not cycled or is going through a re-cycle. There should not be any discus in an uncycled tank.
Re-cycle?

Ammonia is 0
Nitrate is 10 orange

My tank is cycled. Im using my 55 gallon tank, it is established, minimum live plants, sand gray substrate, driftwood, and water temperature is 81.

Last edited:

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
with those readings you need to do a 50% PWC per day until your readings are 0 across the board. Then 50% every other day that 2" needs pristine water to grow.

With discus its all about the water!

jhill54

Registered Member
Jan 15, 2008
oHIo
www.bonsaibeginnings.org
I would keep up on the water changes. How long has this tank been up and running?

A Friend in fish
John

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Hey guys i edited my post lol look... Anyway! my readings are okay for now. The tank has been up for like a month now, using my 2 year old filter media bags from my 20 gallon tank.

pH 7.6
High range pH 7.4
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 10

jhill54

Registered Member
Jan 15, 2008
oHIo
www.bonsaibeginnings.org
You should be good to go. What other fish are with the discus? And what is the temp? Do you have substrate on the bottom or is it bare bottom?

A Friend in fish
John

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I was concerned with the nitrite reading..you should not have any in a cycled tank..but...you may have gotten this is the Discus were added recently(mini cycle)
if this is the case and the tank is established you should be okay.
temp at 81 is on the low side IMHO...I would bump it for juvie discus to 84 and even that is opn the low side for juvies.
how are the discus now? what is your filtration? you will need good water movement at these temps to help increaseO2 in the tank.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Other fish? 2 silver dollars ("Metynnis argenteus" type silver dollar) The discus get their food . My silver dollars are about 3 in a half. They all eat bloodworms. I feed them bloodworms, like 2 squares of them;or thats too much perhaps? They snack them down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store