canister filter / mudskippers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tranceFusion

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Frederick, MD
i have a 30 gallon with indian mudskippers.. it usually has about 5 gallons of water in it. I have in internal filter in there turned sideways, but it takes up alot of room, and lots of times it gets clogged with detritus causing it to make an awful noise, or stop pulling water altogether. also, since the compartments inside aren't very well isolated, i have to rinse detritus off of everything on the inside and i fear i am losing bacteria.

i want to get a canister but i am not sure 1) that it will fix my problems and 2) if the amount of turnover will cause any problems? for instance, the marineland canisters are 350gph.. that is like.. 70 times an hour the water is getting turned over..

any help? thanks.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I personally prefer internal filters and powerheads over canisters in paludariums, but that's just me.

You can always choose a smaller canister if you go that route though. 350gph would be too extreme.

tranceFusion

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Frederick, MD
you don't have the issues that I mention? The skippers are messy and they are always kicking up sandstorms and slopping food from one end of the tank to another..

j_chicago

Usually Drunk
May 12, 2007
Chicago, Il
Real Name
Jason

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
My internal filters do get clogged faster than my external ones, but since I clean it every week as part of regular maintenance anyways, it never mattered much. The main reason I prefer them though is just because they're a lot easier to hide than a canister's intake and spraybar.

Oh, if you're getting the 501, this place offers a better price:
http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=404

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store