29g cichlid chronicle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PEMfish

Ta hoy, Watch thes!
Dec 11, 2007
Il, 60174
As you may have guessed I have plans for a 29g cichlid tank. It won't get built for another 4 months ( I have a low aquarium budget ). I will build the tank myself out of .22" acrylic. It will be on a DIY Stand. The stand will be black to save money, and 6" tall. This will be a bedside table. It will measure 15x18", tis will give it an astounding 18" of depth. It will be 24"tall. I plan on a clear 18x21" top, but what to use for it? Glass and acrylic will break. Sooo... ? It will, being a cichlid tank, be primarily rock inside, to get a better idea of what I'm going for, see top of page 89 in Drs Foster and Smith 25 year anniversary catalog. Lighting will consist of one these; http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+9870&pcatid=9870 . I will buy a lamp rebuild kit and make a wooden box for it out of extra plywood from the stand.

PEMfish

Ta hoy, Watch thes!
Dec 11, 2007
Il, 60174
This is what I plan on keeping;
I already have the pleco in the planted, He will sooner or later be terrorizing plants so he will get to move.

Pleco
Leleupi
Cyprichromis leptosoma
Marlieri
Ornatus

I know its a small foot print for a cichlid tank. Any other ides?

PEMfish

Ta hoy, Watch thes!
Dec 11, 2007
Il, 60174
Stand is upside down, and with out paint and ply wood.
2x4 construction, cross braces will be plywood strips. $14 total +/- for stand

stand.jpg Tank Wscale.JPG

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
I already have the pleco in the planted, He will sooner or later be terrorizing plants so he will get to move.

Pleco
Leleupi
Cyprichromis leptosoma
Marlieri
Ornatus

What kind of Pleco? Your tank is way too small to keep some of these fish.

PEMfish

Ta hoy, Watch thes!
Dec 11, 2007
Il, 60174
I know the one with the vertical supports and open frame would be better, but is it necessary? ( no plywood shown )

stand type 1.jpg stand type 2.jpg

PEMfish

Ta hoy, Watch thes!
Dec 11, 2007
Il, 60174
Then what do you recommend?

Its some kind of "common". Hes in a AGA 29g now, about 4.5" w/ tail.

keiferd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
LI,NY
Visit site
You should be fine. If you're keeping 1 of each species there will be little aggression between them. Most of the people on these forums are worry-worts. If you feel they are getting to big for the tank and start nipping each other then relocate them to a bigger tank. It's just up to you when to make the change. 4 fish and an algae eater is by no means to small for even larger 5" cichlids of different species.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh

Pleco
Leleupi
Cyprichromis leptosoma
Marlieri
Ornatus

No cyps, please!

For one they needlarge groups, at least 8, preferably 10+, in order to be most comfortable otherwise they are skittish and second they do reach about 5". They are best in tanks at least 4 feet long.

Mixing julidochromis species is not the best idea. Only one in this size tank.

Mixing julies and the leleupi would also not be the best idea. Both are cave dwellers/spawners and would be forced to compete over your rockwork. I do not think there would be enough room to establish a territory, peacefully, well as peaceful as a cichlid could get ;)

I suggest 3-5 julies (one species as mentioned before) or leleupi. Also be aware that any fry may not survive with a pleco...

PEMfish

Ta hoy, Watch thes!
Dec 11, 2007
Il, 60174
Well, the fry not surviving is not a bad thing... I don't have the time, money, and interest in raising young.
Also, I will be adding them s l o w l y so I feel confident that I can avert problems using different staginess. If problems arise in the future, one or more can be moved out and your plan of a species tank used.
I will consider what everyone has to say, but in the end I will try to do what I can, maybe your all right, or maybe I can make it work.
Thank you all for your input as I do not want to make fish unhappy, stressed, or not meet there needs. I also appreciate more suggestions. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store