African cichlid in a 20 long?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tropical94

AC Members
Jan 5, 2008
Well since only 1 tiger barb is left in the 20 long (cycling and ich), i was thinking about making it a cichlid tank. Can i get some African cichlids, I don't know the full name, but the ones that are sold in a 'african cichlid' tank, like at walmart. Could i get away with 4-5???? Also, would a bristle nose pleco be fine with them, or some ghost shrimp or some cory cat's???? Thanks

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
NO! one cichlid only! nothing else! massive over stocking!

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
sorry. didn't mean to come on so strong. 0=( anyways, go with like one blue socolofi or red zebra. maybe you can have 2 blue socolofis? are you planning on ever upgrading?

satanpie

Banana plant addict.
Aug 25, 2007
Long Island NY
www.myspace.com
you could have some dwarf cichlids in there!

tropical94

AC Members
Jan 5, 2008
I want some electric yellow, electric blue, and Demasoni cichlids. I think thats what they have in their tanks at the shop.

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
if you get a 37, 2 blue socolofi will do fine. they are more mellow than the snow white socolofi i think. or you could go with 2 yellow labs, but i personally perfer socolofi over labs.

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
I want some electric yellow, electric blue, and Demasoni cichlids. I think thats what they have in their tanks at the shop.
you could TOTALLY have 2 or 3 electric yellows in the 37 gal. :grinyes:

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Wouldn't consider the last two species in anything smaller than a 55gal, especially if that "electric blue" happens to be a Sciaenochromis fryeri instead of a melanochromis cyaneorhabdos; yellow labs MIGHT work in a tank as small as a 29gal; no mbuna species recommended for a 20gal.

you could TOTALLY have 2 or 3 electric yellows in the 37 gal. :grinyes:
Due to the aggressive nature of most mbuna species, and other african cichlid types in general, they're pretty much required to be kept in decent sized groups to 'dilute' aggression. Stocking 5 or less won't work long term, especially in a small tank (small being less than 55gal). Too easy for a 'bully' to form.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store