stupid question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

40galreefman

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Buffalo, NY
i knowthat when i top off evap in the tank i use just fresh r/o water. but during water change, do i replace with salt water or freshwater? i understand that salt does not evap that is y you replace with fresh water, but you do replace salt water with saltwater during water changes:confused: i think i'm just confusing myself anyways thanks

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
The freshwater top up is to replace evaporation and maintain a stable salinity. So if your maintaining the salinity with top ups then when doing a water change you must add water of the same salinity as the tank = saltwater.

40galreefman

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Buffalo, NY
thats what i thought, likei said i was just strting to confuse myself because this is finally going to happen, after a yer and a half of waiting, researching, and gathering my equipment, just as soon as uncle sam sends me back the money he stole from me!!!!:mad2:

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
40gal, there is no stupid question.. And I agree with the above.. Its much better to ask a question than to think you know the answer and endanger livestock in your tank. There is all kinds of stuff out there that can be really confusing and we all need a little clarification from time to time. All of us. It looks like you are just getting your feet wet in the hobby. That is why we are here to help each other.

Good luck and best wishes.

Peace - - Mark

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
Sometimes when I read to much at once I get things messed up, but like clown said its better to ask before, then after the fact. But yes FW to top off and SW to replace WC.

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
You will lose salt over time though, due to salt creep and skimmate but in small amounts. I usually check the SG in the tank every other week or so. If the normal SG in the tank drops from 1.026 to 1.025, the next time I do a water change I mix the new water up at 1.027-1.028 which will bring my tank back to 1.026.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND

40galreefman

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Buffalo, NY
thanks guys ur all alot of help, great link clown.
animalman, thats what happened, just overloaded my brain with info and had a short fit of confusion. well, back to waiting......:turtle:

40galreefman

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Buffalo, NY
schigara, i've also heard that water topoffs with sw at WC time helps maitain SG sometimes, i only heard that but don't know if it's true, but i like the method you described better anyways seems more logical than the other way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store