Help identify white spot on pleco head?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ldymcbeth6

AC Members
Jan 21, 2008
Illinois
Hi, all. I have a leopard pleco and he has a white spot on his head. I noticed it two days ago, but since he's new I thought maybe it was coloring I hadn't noticed before. Now it is most definitely not supposed to be there, but I'm not sure what it is.

Here's the kicker: my tank has ick and I'm treating for that right now. The temp is up to 84 and salt to 1tsp/gal. I don't know if that salt is high enough, but I was afraid the pleco would not tolerate it.

This doesn't look like ich, in fact he shows no signs of ich other than he doesn't appear to be eating at all. He was hanging around all the time until yesterday, now he's hiding. Last night, left a spirulina disk and sinking shrimp pellets for him, but he didn't eat the disk and I don't think he ate the shrimp--they disintegrate, but I vacuumed up quite a bit this morning.

Anyway, here's the parameters: 15gal, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate, 7.5 pH.

Here's the questions:
What the heck is that white stuff?
Can I go higher on the salt for the two surviving barbs in the tank and not kill the pleco?
Are the disks, shrimp pellets, occasional blanched veggies/fruit enough for his diet? I'm new to fish and I'm thankful I read some stuff here or the poor guy would have died from starvation--the LFS said algae was good enough.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
It almost looks like a scrape? Is it possible he get his head stuck someplace tight.....does it look like the outer flesh is missing?

ldymcbeth6

AC Members
Jan 21, 2008
Illinois
You know, I considered it might be a sore when I first saw it. It has turned whiter since and grown a smidge, I think--or maybe the color matched him well enough in the beginning I couldn't assess the real size.

It is possible he got stuck somewhere--we (my 14 yr son and I) rearranged the tank--new gravel, new heater, moved the plants. So there was a lot going on in there right before it showed up.

If it is a scrape should I do anything? Will it heal on its own? My experience so far is that fish are FRAGILE!! Any little thing and they die. It completely freaks me out that he (or she) might be hurt.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
What size is the tank? What other fish are in the tank with the pleco? Have you tested for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate recently and if so, what were your test results? And, how often are you doing water changes, and how much water are you changing out?

ldymcbeth6

AC Members
Jan 21, 2008
Illinois
The tank is 15g and I normally do 25% change each week. I did an extra water change when I discovered the ich.
Parameters are: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate and 7.5 pH.

Right now there are two tiger barbs in there.

4 days ago I had 6 tiger barbs and a black-fin shark catfish. The weird thing is the ones that "looked" healthy died--the two that are just pathetic looking are living. One had ich on his tail, but it's gone now (the tail, not the ich.) and one has ich on all his fins, though not heavily, but he's pale. No one eats. They haven't eaten in 5 days that I've seen--I just vacuum it up after it's laying on the gravel for awhile.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
The temp. at 84 is good, don't take it any higher. You might want to drop the water level down a little to create more splash and by doing so you're aerating the water better while the water temp. is elevated. A lot of people use salt to try to treat ich, I'm not convinced that it works and I wouldn't try it because it takes so much longer to rid the tank of ick than medications. Time, in my opinion, is of upmost importance in treating sick fish. The longer it takes to cure the illness, the weaker the fish gets. I shudder every time I read that someone has treated their fish with salt for ick and the fish dies anyway. I would suggest to you to use Quick Cure which contains malachite green and formalin, a very good combination for killing ick quickly. As for the plecos head, my first line of defense would be to keep the water extremely clean to try to head off any infection, it is is truly a scrape wound. But you'll be medicating for ick so you don't want to dilute the ick medication. Follow the manufacturer's instructions on how to use Quick Cure for ick. If you think you could possibly do it, the best treatment for the pleco would be a bit of iodine applied directly to the wound and put him back in the tank. Take a cotton swab and just barely dampen it with the iodine and then touch the swab to the wound. Plecos are usually pretty easy to handle but he won't like the iodine so put him on a flat surface or hold him firmly.

ldymcbeth6

AC Members
Jan 21, 2008
Illinois
The quick cure won't hurt the pleco? It has warnigns about scaleless fish so I was afraid to use it. Also, is there a way to entice him to eat? I tried a peeled pea, but he isn't interested in that either. Of course, after I peeled it, it was more like smooshed pea.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
The quick cure won't hurt the pleco? It has warnigns about scaleless fish so I was afraid to use it. Also, is there a way to entice him to eat? I tried a peeled pea, but he isn't interested in that either. Of course, after I peeled it, it was more like smooshed pea.
check the med label..often times they may recommend half dosing for skinless/sensitive fish.
for peas..try par boiling them .I usually place them in a dish of water and nuke them for 30-45 seconds..the pea is not fully cooked.

you can try garlic with the peas too,,often garlic is used to increase the appetite.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Also, see if you can identify exactly which pleco you have. Take a look over at planetcatfish.com or plecofanatics.com. That way you'll have complete information on the plecos diet, they don't all eat the same thing. You'll see how large they get, what temps they need,etc. Most plecos are nocturnal and it's best to slip some food into the tank right before you turn the lights out. Go easy on the flakes if the other fish don't appear hungry while they are sick. It's real easy to pollute the water quickly with excess food. And I agree with star_rider, check the instructions about sensitive species. But I do believe there was a recent thread here where it had been used successfully full strength and half strength with plecos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store