Help with Kribs...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dilhcic

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
Hey,
I just bought a pair of kribensis cichlids 2 weeks ago. They have settled in well, I have 4 rosy barbs with the kribs and my tank is a 20g long. The problem is that the male is being aggressive towards the female, whenever the female comes into the line of sight of the male, the male will flare his fins and then chase her around the tank. Because of this the female spends most of her time in hiding. The male is around 2 inches and the female is 1.5 inch.

Im sure this is typical behaviour, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what i should do?..I remember reading somewhere that it is unusual for a male krib to pair off with a smaller female is this true?

Thanks for your time!

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
The males are generally larger than the females and the males are much more quicker to sexually mature than the females. They are also much faster at growing up (length-wise).

My albino kribs spawned where the female was a bit smaller than the male (1.5" female, 2.0" male)... All of the males in my breeding pairs are larger than the females.

The cause might be an incompatible pair, or they aren't ready for breeding yet. My male albino was always chasing the female away from him, until they spawned... then the male again started to chase the female away (both for the first and second spawn).

A possible solution might be to separate them for a couple of days. Possibly even to rearrange the decorations in the tank.

Side note: I wonder if she is watching over a clutch of eggs... Hiding in cave could mean that they have spawned, hiding near the corners (or anywhere else, other than a cave) could mean that the male is truly aggressive towards the female.

dilhcic

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
thanks for that : )
I think I might try separating them for a few days and see what happens when I put them back together again, plus I will probably move some things around in the tank. Hopefully the male stops the aggression, hes is definately being aggressive to her, shes not watching over a clutch of eggs thats for sure..

cheers...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store