ID Please :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AndiPants

AC Members
May 25, 2007
Canada
So my bf picked up some cichlids the other day, they just came out a mixed tank- I believe they are mbuna, not sure though. Any ideas on what these guys are?

2007_02010025.JPG 2007_02010077.JPG 2007_02010078.JPG

Oii

CA/SA CICHLID MAN
Jan 3, 2008
Howell, Michigan
looks like a kenyi to me, don't know though. I really really hate africans.

AndiPants

AC Members
May 25, 2007
Canada
yeah, I was kind of thinking thats what the last pic may be.... they are supposed to get pretty aggressive, right?

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
First pic looks like a blue socoloffi... I don't think the last pic is a Kenyi. I have a male kenyi and hes a golden yellow color with brownish yellow stripes...yours doesn't look like that. Females are a light bluish purple with the darker colored stripes...doesn't look like that either. Not sure what it could be but I'm like 95% sure the first is a socoloffi.

AndiPants

AC Members
May 25, 2007
Canada
thanks for replies! pretty sure it is a socolofi and the kenyi, compared to other juv pics I have seen, these guys seem to match pretty well.

Any ideas on the middle picture? That one is stumping me...He/she is mostly black, but has an blue shine to him as well, and he also has verticle stripes...

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Don't think the first is a socolofi, although the pics are blurry - body shape, head and colouration are wrong. I'd say its a hybrid of some kind, with some socolofi in it.

The other two pics are likewise a bit blurry but don't look like kenyi to me - again, hybrids, especially as they came out of a mixed african tank.

the white guy in the second pic - can't see his head; that orange colouration may be an albino pseudotropheus macropthalsmus though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store