55 Gallon. Still in the works...One weird problem Im having. It's no oxygen in tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
It is soo odd!My tank is already aerated very well!!!I even have a bubble wand airstone rena. But no good. My water parameters are good..sigh again with the water parameters..i think im gonna get sick. I'm still so sad the fact that my silver dollar died....sigh so much memories. But I'm gonna try and move on for right now. So far my brown bristlenose pleco is inside the 55 gallon tank right now..thankfully he has the ability to "gulp" the air so yeah. I want to start fresh so far, the tank's fresh!!!BUT NO GOOD OXYGEN!!!whats going on...?

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
I taken him out. Something's definitely going wrong in my tank while my parameters are okay. Sigh.

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
How do you know there's no oxygen in the tank? Fish gasping at the surface is more likely caused by high ammonia and/or nitrites in the tank. Ammonia and nitrites damage the fishes gills and make it hard for them to breathe. What are the parameters on your water?

As a related note, I've got a 75g tank with a canister filter and no surface agitation at all. I have no problems with oxygen in the tank.

Another thing you might look at is how the tank is covered. If the hood of the tank is airtight, there's no oxygen to be exchanged at the surface.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Do you have a liquid test kit?

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
How do you know there's no oxygen in the tank? Fish gasping at the surface is more likely caused by high ammonia and/or nitrites in the tank. Ammonia and nitrites damage the fishes gills and make it hard for them to breathe. What are the parameters on your water?

As a related note, I've got a 75g tank with a canister filter and no surface agitation at all. I have no problems with oxygen in the tank.

Another thing you might look at is how the tank is covered. If the hood of the tank is airtight, there's no oxygen to be exchanged at the surface.
Well, i have a aerator, good surface water agitation.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I'm curious to know how you know there is no oxygen in the tank, as you say you have good surface agitation...like JM asks, is there a possiblity of an environmental contaminant, or of particular stress based on where the tank is (high traffic etc.) ?

are you using a good water conditioner that detoxifies chlorine and chloramine, and heavy metals ? have you tested your tap water ?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
OK, there's still an issue with the fish having trouble breathing and they are dying in this tank. And the water parameters tested and show fine. Am I the only one who thinks that since every time NeonFlux does a water change, and adds a full dose of prime, a full dose of amquel and a full dose of novaqua that maybe a combination of the 3 water conditions plus the fact that it is 3 times the dose of water conditioner may be having an adverse affect on the fishes ability to breath?:huh:

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
OK, there's still an issue with the fish having trouble breathing and they are dying in this tank. And the water parameters tested and show fine. Am I the only one who thinks that since every time NeonFlux does a water change, and adds a full dose of prime, a full dose of amquel and a full dose of novaqua that maybe a combination of the 3 water conditions plus the fact that it is 3 times the dose of water conditioner may be having an adverse affect on the fishes ability to breath?:huh:
That's as good a theory as anything I can come up with. I'm a little confused by the differing Ph measurements but beyond that things seem ok. I'm going to guess that this isn't a problem with not enough oxygen in the tank. Going out on a limb here, but is this tank CO2 injected by any chance? Is it possible that there are extremely high levels of CO2?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store