Opinions wanted on $400.00 skimmer choice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
I have $400.00 in my budget for a new/used skimmer and have narrowed it down somewhat. I need to run a 130gal water volume system with a heavy bioload that will give me noticeable improvements over my two HOT Berlins I have running now. I need them to be external. Downdraft, recirculating needlewheel or beckett. No venturi. No HOTs.

I'm not concerned about noise or power consumption. I have a capable pump for any beckett or downdraft (up to a 100 Iwaki rlt), so I only need the skimmer in that case. I need it to skim well and be less than $400.00 including shipping. If you can think of one I haven't listed, please let me know.
Any help will be appreciated very much.

MRC 2
Octopus DNW 200
Bullet
Reef Devil
Any ebay DIY beckett that somebody's tried and liked.
DOC 300

Thanks,
Tom

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
I would have posted this in the Marine forum so you will get more hits. You said you dont want HOB right?

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
Well you are but you should be in the General Marine I would think. Then this would get more hits. I have heard of the turboflotor and never heard any complaints but I dont know skimmers very well.

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
A friend of mine is running the Octopus 200 DNW on his 150gallon agresive tank and it seems to be doing a very good job for him so that would be my suggestion. Check with Debbie at DIYREEF

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
A friend of mine is running the Octopus 200 DNW on his 150gallon agresive tank and it seems to be doing a very good job for him so that would be my suggestion. Check with Debbie at DIYREEF
I saw that at Deb's site. I just hear that everybody has to mod it before it does any good. I'd rather not have to chop up a new skimmer to get it working.

Do you know if he had to do a mod or if it worked well out of the box. This is definitely one of my top choices because it's more efficient than the downdrafts or becketts, but I need it remove lots of gunk after it breaks in.
Thanks,
Tom

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
He didnt do any mods and it seems to work very good. He is on here and MR and his screen name is tamableanimal, pm him and see what he has to say but every time I am over to his place it is foaming up a storm and the skim is nice and dark.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store