Brackish Plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Brackmyforte

Oddball Lover
Jan 26, 2008
Stillwater, OK
I originally posted this list on the okcfishlady.com forum @ http://www.okcfishlady.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1189633698

[I obtained most of this list from the book BRACKISH-WATER FISHES ‘An Aquarist’s Guide to Identification, Care & Husbandry’]

This is for anyone out there interested in Brackish Aquaria, who's been told you'll just have to use plastic plants or no plants at all

First there are the Brackish-Tolerant Freshwater Plants. These plants can live in water with a specific gravity up to 1.003:

Anubias barteri/nana

Ceratophyllum demersum a.k.a. Foxtail or Hornwort

Ceratopteris cornuta a.k.a. Watersprite or Broad-Leaf Watersprite

Crinum thaianum a.k.a. Onion Plant

Cryptocoryne wendtii

Hygrophila spp.

Vallisneria spp. (except smaller species like Vallisneria spiralis which tend to be more fussy)

Vesicularia Dubyana a.k.a. Java Moss (this plant will actually handle a S.G. up to 1.005+ like those listed in the next section)

Secondly there are the Naturally Occurring Brackish-Water Plants and Brackish-Tolerant Marine Plants. Most of these plants can be found living in water with a specific gravity up to 1.005+.

Bacopa monnieri a.k.a. Water Hyssop or Moneywort

Chaetomorpha a.k.a. Spaghetti algae (A marine macro-algae, this species must be acclimated slowly from true marine water to brackish.)

Crinum calamistratum and pedunculatum a.k.a. Brackish Onion Plant or Pond Onion Plant (calamistratum) River Lilly or Mangrove Lilly or Spider Lilly (penunculatum)

Echinodorus tenellus a.k.a. Narrow-leaf Chain Sword

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis a.k.a. Brazilian Micro-Sword or Micro-Sword Grass

Microsorium pteropus a.k.a. Java Fern

Mangroves (Red, White, Black, Grey they all will live in anything from mildly brackish to marine water)

Seagrasses i.e. Turtle Grass or Maiden’s Hair or Swamp Grass (several varying species will aclimate to brackish waters)

I added these later:
-Dracaena fragrans a.k.a. Ribbon Plant or Corn plant or Dragon Plant
I have this growing above the water in my tank.

-Nymphaea zenkeri a.k.a. Tiger Lotus [both the red and green varieties] This is a true lotus and, if allowed, will produce fragrant white to pink flowers. Usually this is a brckish-tolerant plant [S.G. 1.003 or lower] but I have mine around 1.006. Which is more in the range of plants that are naturally brackish and it's doin quite well!

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I've heard of Chaeto being kept in high-end brackish, but I didn't think it could go that low. That's really something.

Brackmyforte

Oddball Lover
Jan 26, 2008
Stillwater, OK
cheato

Yeah, I just decided to try it and it worked out! Brackish set-ups are a lot about experimentation:grinyes:

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
You know, I didn't think Dracaena could be kept in brackish, but somehow that doesn't surprise me. Dracaena really has some of toughest plants.

Brackmyforte

Oddball Lover
Jan 26, 2008
Stillwater, OK
It was just another experiment lol! Right now I'm experimenting with a clipping from a Ficus benjamina tree that I superglued to some driftwood that sticks out of the water. I've had it there for about 2 weeks and it's starting to sprout new leaves!

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
That brings me to something else. Epiphytes are always a good option for brackish (or any) paludariums.

Brackmyforte

Oddball Lover
Jan 26, 2008
Stillwater, OK
So true! I'm planning on adding more colour to my tank with some "air plants" I'll be ordering soon. I'm hoping because they are ferns and epiphytes they'll do well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store