Yay!! My stepdad is letting me build a pond!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
W00t! I was going to build one last summer at my grand parents but it didnt pan out. I came across this site http://www.stockyardsupply.com/page11/index2.htmland I am amazed at the prices. The grandparents no longer want one and think I have too many aquariums as it is. Just texted the step dad and he is all for it. Going over tomorrow to talk about it. Haven t decided on the size or stocking yet. I plan on documenting it with lots of photos.

Anyone have links for those covers that keep out raccoons?

theotheragentm

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Wow, those prices are good.

Raccoons generally don't like to go swimming for fish. They will wan to get easy access with a swipe from the surface. The first thing to have as a precaution is a deeper pond. I have a 100 gallon barrel that sits about 3' high and I know the raccoons have tried to get at it, but they haven't succeeded.

Instead of putting a net over my barrel, I bought some mesh material from a hardware store intended for providing vine plants structural support. I bought some wooden dowels and wove them into the holes and made a fence around my barrel. Depending on what else you have as predators, it might not be the best idea to do it this way.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
I like the 300 gallon tank. As a kid I kept goldfish, crayfish, and tadpoles in our stock tanks but never thought of using one of them deliberately as a pond. The water quality in those things were really quite good as 1 full grown steer or cow will drink 30 to 40 gallons a day and we had 30-40 head per tank. They just had a little slobber in them. I think the 300 gallon rubbermaid tank will probably make the best pond. I'd dig a hole and put it at surface level to keep the temperature more stable. Then fence around it to keep the varmits out. One of those solar powered electric fences would sure keep them out and you could put it up and take it down as necessary. Set up a motion activated camera so you can see them jump too. :)

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
I guess I have to keep out various birds too. There are a few lakes around the area.

theotheragentm

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The best thing might be a motion sensor sprinkler. Then no net is needed at all. Just remember to turn it off when you're enjoying th pond, or at least keep the camera rolling.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Ditto the 300g. And the motion ativated shock fence with cam is nice, and the motion sprinkler is even better. Also in my experience, nets, shock fences, and a sprinkler with hoses and ect are unsightly. So I used flat peices of slate all around the edges. What would happen is the edge would be shaky. A coon would come and wanna either catch a fish or wash some food, and wouldnt like the uneasy edge. they'd try all around the pond and i'd have the whole edge ready to tip in the pond. For the bird a simple hawk kite or hawk statue or a scarecrow in the seasonal times is fun for the youngsters too.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
One thing I learned after building my pond...go as big as you possibly can. No matter how big you make it, after its done and up and running, you'll be saying man...wish I made it twice that size. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page linked above, I'd spend a litte extra and go for the 600gal poly tank. Or, use a liner.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store