how many africans in a 20 L ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
1 breeding pair of convicts, or 1 ahli for a while if u get them small. . . one socolofi or zebra.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
1 breeding pair of convicts, or 1 ahli for a while if u get them small. . . one socolofi or zebra.
I would say no ahli tank is too small.

you could have one or two maybe of certain mbuna or one peacock of any type but a) where's the fun in that and b) these are naturally gregarious fish who prefer to react to presence of similar fish than be kept as sole specimens, and they do better in groups, and with a pair only in there they may very well kill each other, as you can't overstock to reduce territorial aggression.

your ideal african cichlids for this tank are tanganyikan shelldwellers, who a) will not outgrow it and b) display the classic cichlid behavioural traits that make these fish so interesting.

Last edited:

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
Shelldwellers are the best, but a pair of julies isn't bad either. Non-rift species like kribs or Steatocranus are good in pairs there too.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I vote for the shellies...

TheFanatic

AC Members
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
Shelldwellers are the best, but a pair of julies isn't bad either. Non-rift species like kribs or Steatocranus are good in pairs there too.
I was thinking the same thing. I would go with some Julies. You could start off with say 6 and then remove a couple when you get a pair. You might not have to remove all of them but a couple would probably have to go. You would need a TON of rockwork. Loads of crevices, caves and nooks for the other fish to dart into to escape the wrath of the breeding pair...

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
convicts are central american, not african. . . .

as far as the plants in the refugium - even if you successfully keep plants in there and they use your nitrates, you will still have to do weekly water changes and substrate cleanings in order to keep the water conditions safe for the fish. don't expect to add plants and then never have to do any other maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store