seahorses

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ocdavep

AC Members
Jan 26, 2008
Has anyone here done seahorses? I was thinking about starting a seahorse tank for my girlfriend because she loves them. since i can't do many fish with them i thought it would be a nice way to get into coral also.

from experience, what are the pros/cons?

is it worth it?

Thanks for the opinions!

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
I dont know but I would love to have a couple. They are just so fascinating. But that is another time because now I want to convert my 55 gallon into a reef!!!!!!!! That will come with the tax return money I think.

ocdavep

AC Members
Jan 26, 2008
i love the avatar John, i'm a big fan, but from what i've read online and from other people who've had them, i've heard you can there are just some corals you have to steer clear of because they will sting or try to eat them.

JohnLin

AC Members
Dec 1, 2007
Madison, WI
I guess I wasn't thinking about compatibility issues. I was just referring to the flow requirement (10 ~ 25 X turnover rate) for corals and the relatively still water required by the seahorses.

Too much flow will lead to stress and diseases.

bethkira2000

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
Maine
wow, I wish I was brave enough to even try seahorses, I heard that they were very hard to keep alive in a tank.

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
i love the avatar John, i'm a big fan, but from what i've read online and from other people who've had them, i've heard you can there are just some corals you have to steer clear of because they will sting or try to eat them.
*coughhatemichigancough* gees, some cough I have going on today. :headshake2:

I would think some low flow corals would work, but you would be pretty limited in terms of what corals you could put in an environment that is suitable for seahorses. Off the top of my head, I'd think of zoas and mushrooms. While pretty, it isn't the vision most have in terms of a reef.

JohnLin

AC Members
Dec 1, 2007
Madison, WI
Hate to hijack the thread for this purpose, but...

Mandy, would you be more or less depressed next year when Ohio State loses yet again in the BCS championship game?

Because they're going to have 1 loss next year to USC, and back in the national championship picture again, and they play nobody from october until the bowl game (yes, that includes Michigan, which will probably win 6 or 7 games next year at the most).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store