Majano Anemones

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fastbackgly

Molecular Cell Biology Major
Feb 24, 2006
San Diego, CA
Just thought I'd post a little note about Majano anemones.

I've had both majano and aipstasia anemones show up in my tank from one source or another, and in my experience, majano anemones are very very bad. They have spread all over my tank and I can't seem to curb their growth. They have killed a beautiful monti plate I had that was about 16cmx8cm. I've now resorted to cutting them off the rock with scissors. Aipstasia has been in one place for the past 9 months, not spreading at all.

So, if you have any majano anemones, get rid of them ASAP.

Pic:
http://maxstrandberg.com/saltwater/anemone/majano.htm

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
That sucks... never come across a majano myself but that pic makes them look neat. Definately have seen my share of aipstasia's, and same experience.. usually don't spread, but survive almost anything. Luckly they sell stuff for killing em.

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
Snap i`ve also got a Majano Anemone problem i used to think they was great as there kinda rare but once they start spreading they don`t stop & over take most corals in there path........

i`ve had success with a product called JOE`S JUICE which is like a white liquid they eat & then die & the product dose say it kills them so i`m going to buy some more as i knocked my last lot over a year ago but you do have to keep an eye out for the dead majano starting out small again & all you do is re treat the Majano Anemone & they do go.....

not sure if joe`s juice is out in America but i`m sure it is cause this is the site i heard about it.... try your local fish shop or eBay or online stores

fastbackgly

Molecular Cell Biology Major
Feb 24, 2006
San Diego, CA
Let me clarify. I was in Hawaii for 2 weeks over last summer. They took over the entire tank. I've tried Kalk, and will not try Joe's juice ever again. There are so many that I need to do an overhaul probably this weekend. I'll go rock by rock, picking them up and shooting up the anemones with some more kalk/boiling freshwater. Then I'll have to do a big water change and syphon out all the pieces that are floating around.

bdavis27701

AC Members
Sep 28, 2006
N.E. Ohio
I have had one in my mantis tank for months now and it hasn't spread. They are kind of nice in color though for being a pest.

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
Nov 29, 2002
ST.Louis Area
Visit site
They are fine for non-coral tanks.

They are great for FOWLR.

Some butterfly fish will eat them.

If your Live rock is not encrusted with corals, you can take that rock out and boil it.
Change out one or 2 rocks a week. This will prevent a new cycle.

If the rocks have corals, clip the rock off with the manjano attached or saw that piece of rock and return to tank manjano free.

Limit feeding the tank while treating or destroying manjanos to limit reproduction.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store