Will Amano Shrimp Regrow Lost Legs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GeoPappas

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Suburbs of Raleigh, NC
Last weekend I bought an Amano shrimp and the next day I found that he had been sucked up into the AquaClear filter. He was still alive, but a few of his legs were ripped off from the impeller. It is now a week later and the shrimp has been doing fine. I have since covered the filter intake with a filter media bag, so this shouldn't happen again.

Does anyone know if his legs will regrow over time?

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
I know it's possible with crays and crabs when they molt, but I'm not sure about shrimp. If I had to guess I would say it's probably possible.

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
as above 1 of my crays grow back 3 legs and a claw due to a bad molt (when i 1st had him), but as far as shrimp go iam not to sure but i would imagine they would grow back.

pacalan

AC Members
May 11, 2006
midwest
The legs should grow back after a few molts. My bamboo shrimp was missing one of his legs when I bought him, even though he was labeled as a "six-legged shrimp". The leg did grow back slowly, getting a little longer and fuller with each molt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store