putting a tank under a sky light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

7Speed

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
Texas
Visit site
I was thinking if having a tank under a skylight that gets about 6-8 hours of sunlight may be a substitute for having lights on the tank for a reef/SW setup. A clear glass top. just an idea that poped into my head.

thanks.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
should work well for low to mid light creatures, if you want very light demanding creatures your going to need to supplement.

Make sure with seasonal variances that you dont have a drastically reduced intensity or photoperiod.

BiggerWurm

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
michigan
Visit site
7Speed,

I agree with slipknottin it would work for low light and some medium but very risky for anything else. The skylight glass and angle is going to cut down your spectrum the other glass top is going to also. We worry about enough light with the bulbs inches to a foot above tanks imagine how much your light is going to have to get through. With sunlight you get unwanted heat and tempature swings. Slipknottin said the winter is going to a problem so will rainy days or when there is snow if you get it and there is no light coming thru when covered. i personally would not try this unless i could get a minimum of 10 hours of (good) lighting year round and had some kind of good backup lighting. Some places that our corals, anemones and such come from have 12 hours or more of light during the summer and nothing to block it other than water. The other point is when are you going to enjoy it in the morning only this would suck if i had to do all my maintenance and observation during a 7 or 8 hour period. I guess you could look into it futher the large coral farm i go to is mostly lit buy sunlight but it is a giant greenhouse and they have halides over the corals that need intense light.

7Speed

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
I guess I won't try this.

I will then get the beginner’s VHO tubes.

I just thought natural sunlight would have more energy/then using artificial light?
I just hope I learn enough, so this won’t end up being a costly start.

BiggerWurm

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
michigan
Visit site
7speed,

Hope i did not make you feel discouraged. Not my intent this is a great hobby and you will love it. You can get the VHO's or you can by metal halides wich will be enough for what ever you could ever want. I have seen the dual 175 watt fixtures with out bulbs brand new on ebay for a 150 bucks. Another two hundred in bulbs give or take and your in business for longer than vhos (every six months you must change the bulbs) little longer with halides. I agree that sun light is better obviously but with the above problems it may be more of a pain than anything you don't want to buy a chiller very expensive way more than lights and with fans you should be able to keep the halides cool. What ever you buy that is quality now you won't have to buy again later.

Good luck and have fun doing it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store