Electric Yellows & Peacocks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nick_flano

AC Members
Dec 26, 2006
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if i would be able to keep a few peacocks with some electric yellows.
I have a 40gal(not ideal i no), with a trio of electric yellows, and i've seen a few peacocks in my lfs they r awesome looking fish. I have researched this a little and a few websites have said that they can b kept together because electric yellows r more peaceful than most mbuna.
Has anyone had experience with this combination, if u have i would love sum advice.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
That mainly depends on the peacocks in question, but as long as they won't grow too large (or need more territory) than the tank size, there shouldn't be any real problems.

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
i have no experience with peacocks, but my labs are very peaceful and skittish.

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
isn't that bad to keep more than 1 male? even with peacocks?

losthere

AC Members
Jan 25, 2005
I have a 55 gal with peacocks and a small frontosa. I also used to have one male yellow lab. They were fine together. He mostly hid in the rocks and that was his territory. I just got over him after a few years. He was getting big and I only have so much room for fish and the colors of peacocks are so much better than a bright yellow fish. I hate to say i but i am glad i got rid of him. As far as keeping male peacocks together, that is fine. I would keep all males, i have had a few females before, but nowhere near the reccomended ratio, (who would want all those ugly colored fish in your display tank anyway) those few females would get picked on, get sick, go into the q.t., get healthy and then go back in, then they seem to die. No females is the way to go. My fishes colors are great, at least the larger ones and the med sized fish are coloring up very nicely. I have no real agression problems, unless i get a really small fish, they get eaten. But as long as they have some decent size to them they do ok. For those of you who think wait when those fish get bigger, i have fish +6" everything fine so far. I do have males of different colors, and also a few different species, 1 elec blue, 1 red fin borleyi, red emperess, all males all with great color, except where I got greedy and bought a few too many reds and they dont look so good, color wise.

tarheels910

Malawi Maniac
Jul 6, 2006
Concord, NC
I have a 55 gal with peacocks and a small frontosa. I also used to have one male yellow lab. They were fine together. He mostly hid in the rocks and that was his territory. I just got over him after a few years. He was getting big and I only have so much room for fish and the colors of peacocks are so much better than a bright yellow fish. I hate to say i but i am glad i got rid of him. As far as keeping male peacocks together, that is fine. I would keep all males, i have had a few females before, but nowhere near the reccomended ratio, (who would want all those ugly colored fish in your display tank anyway) those few females would get picked on, get sick, go into the q.t., get healthy and then go back in, then they seem to die. No females is the way to go. My fishes colors are great, at least the larger ones and the med sized fish are coloring up very nicely. I have no real agression problems, unless i get a really small fish, they get eaten. But as long as they have some decent size to them they do ok. For those of you who think wait when those fish get bigger, i have fish +6" everything fine so far. I do have males of different colors, and also a few different species, 1 elec blue, 1 red fin borleyi, red emperess, all males all with great color, except where I got greedy and bought a few too many reds and they dont look so good, color wise.
Ahlis, Borleyis, and Red Empresses are haps, not peacocks. I cant believe you crammed that many fish in a 55 gallon. :eek:

The haps you have should be in a 90 gallon+ tank. Also, Frontosas are from lake Tanganyika (Should not be mixed with Malawi) and get over a foot. A 125 gallon or larger is minimum to keep Frontosas.

losthere

AC Members
Jan 25, 2005
Small frontosa, they grow very slowly and my very good friend has a 1000 gal front dispaly that they go in there when they get too big. He is very appreciative. Maybe you should read a little closer i wrote that i have DIFFERENT species, different means not of the same, fyi. Its ok. And i was commenting on one of my many current tanks, that range from reef, cichlids, and planted. I have a ton of experince in keeping fish. Yes the net is a good place to find information, but nothing can beat years and years of first hand knowledge. And why cant you keep malawi and tang together? Really tell me why. They have almost the same water requirements, not like discus and mbuna together. You just need to know what you are doing. Peacocks are a less agressive species of fish so they do not pick on the tangs and vice versa. I have had a frontosa for over 4 years before giving it to my friend and it was only about 6-7".

Last edited by a moderator:

tarheels910

Malawi Maniac
Jul 6, 2006
Concord, NC
Small frontosa, they grow very slowly and my very good friend has a 1000 gal front dispaly that they go in there when they get too big. He is very appreciative. Maybe you should read a little closer i wrote that i have DIFFERENT species, different means not of the same, fyi. Its ok. And i was commenting on one of my many current tanks, that range from reef, cichlids, and planted. I have a ton of experince in keeping fish. Yes the net is a good place to find information, but nothing can beat years and years of first hand knowledge. And why cant you keep malawi and tang together? Really tell me why. They have almost the same water requirements, not like discus and mbuna together. You just need to know what you are doing. Peacocks are a less agressive species of fish so they do not pick on the tangs and vice versa. I have had a frontosa for over 4 years before giving it to my friend and it was only about 6-7".

Thanks for your consideration, buy im almost positive I know my stuff.

The haps you mentioned (Sciaenochromis Fryeri, Copadichromis Borleyi, and Protomelas Taeniolatus) are not of the Aulonocara (Peacock) species.

Last edited by a moderator:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store