Blackbeard algae and green hair algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

divingne1

AC Members
Jun 15, 2007
Canton, GA
I left my aquarium in the care of a friend while I was away for 2 months and when I returned I had a horrible outbreak of blackbeard algae and green hair algae. The blackbeard algae was on everything and had killed all but one of my plants. I also had green hair algae growing on everything and flowing in the water so thick that it was trapping and killing some of my little fish. I had to break everything down, put a new piece of driftwood in, put fake plants back in until I can assure myself that it isn't coming back, but I do have one amazon sword left that I was able to salvage. The only blackbeard algae that remains is a small amount on a piece of gravel rock here and there. What is the best way to get rid of the algae on the gravel rocks so it doesn't grow out of control again?

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
do a 3-day blackout before it starts to proliferate again, that should be the final blow.

divingne1

AC Members
Jun 15, 2007
Canton, GA
Ok...I can do that...one question though...is it ok to turn the lights on long enough to wake the fish and feed them? It may seem like a duhh question but I honestly don't know and don't want to have this breakout ever again.

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Fish will be fine without food as they can easily go atleast a week or so without eatin...feed them before you cover the tank and keep all light out of it for 3-4 days

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
iF YOUR ALREADY STARTING OVER, BLEECH EVERYTHING. put fish into hopital tank and add bleech it all if your not usuing co2 it sounds like your just going to run into the outbreaks again. theres a ratio of bleech to water but i have never done it. but i have seen time and time again bleech dip works

divingne1

AC Members
Jun 15, 2007
Canton, GA
I have the blackout going now. I took everything but the gravel out and bleached and scrubbed it. The driftwood is sunbleaching.

midiamin

MidiAmin
Jan 29, 2005
San Francisco
remedy suggested do work for sure. But can anyone respond to the issue of Black hair algae vs green hair algae? Differences other than the fact that they are both detreimental to the aquarium?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store