My new JD and GT need some Buddies, ASAP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bhalbeis

AC Members
Jan 11, 2008
I am using the term buddy very loosely here as I know its never a sure thing with these cichlids housed together.

I have a newly cycled 65 gallon, I decided to get a JD and GT together and take my chances. The JD is the terror here, he is all over my GT...chasing him every which way. The GT wants nothing to do with him. I need a tankmate for these guys, something to distract them a little from one another. Trying for a mate that would have a decent chance of being amicable with these guys. How about 1 convict or a severum..anything!

Both the JD and GT are the same size (2 1/2 inches). Must a I add a mate that is if similar size? Please give me your suggestions on mates as I need to add something ASAP or the JD will end up getting the better of my GT.

BTW...only had these guys for 3 days but they are super shy. They both jet off to their respective caves as soon I come around...will this change? I would love to see them!! I have to act like Rambo to see them...leave the room lights off after sunset, wear camoflauge, and crawl on the ground to a spot and sit very still. Will this change?

seandelevan

AC Members
Oct 6, 2007
Oh trust me their shyness will die off soon. Pretty soon they will be doing to opposite: they'll be jetting out of their caves when they see you, kind of like lost puppies.

ireman24

AC Members
Oct 16, 2007
I would not add severum's, their very peaceful. I have three in 65gal with a convict and i want to move the convict. He is a *******, he's always chasing them around, nipping, etc........ I also have a 55gal with 2 JD's and a Convict and that tank seems to do well no problems. So me personally would add a Convict(Mine) lol not a Severum.

bhalbeis

AC Members
Jan 11, 2008
Will 3 Silver Dollars work as dithers with the JD and GT in a 65g? Both cichlids are around 3 inches, so a lot of growing to be done yet.

BadDogsPa

AC Members
May 14, 2007
I had good luck with a Firemouth distracting the Jd and Gt. They are really colorfull when they puff out there red neck..My Green severum hides alot and i may get rid of him as they get bigger and less tolerant of his presence.

joestyx

I'm Not A Playa I Just Fish A Lot
Jan 24, 2008
Where Legends Are Born, MD
I recently set up my new 55gal and I have 1 convict, 1 JD, and 3 bala sharks....The convict owns the tank right now, but all in all they all get along great.....Convicts are cool and JD's are smart....

Bnoble

Advanced User
Jan 31, 2008
USA,VA
Red Devil! they can hold there own!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
red devil needs at least a 90g.

giant danios may work as dithers, but since they are already having trouble they may not ever get along. i would work on your back-up plan now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store