Is Tonga Branch Rock good?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
I found someone in my area selling cured tonga branch rock for 4$ a pound. Is this a good deal? The other LR and BR I have in my tank are actual rocks, I think that the LR was from figi or something. Would adding tonga branch be okay? Does that have as much "liveness" as the other rock?

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
I really like the look of Tonga branch rock. I don't think it's as bio-diverse as other live rock as it's not as porous and doesn't have as many places to hide. I think it's worth having more for the aquascaping potential than anything else. $4 (£2) a pound seems like a decent price although I'm in the UK so don't know what general prices are like over there. We get ripped off half the time :(

st0l1

AC Members
Dec 16, 2007
Tonga is a toss up in my book. Because some of the pieces are really cool arches and cave structure while some of the pieces are just branchy finger type structures. I'm not a big fan of the finger, branch looking LR. Generally speaking Tonga is more expensive than Fiji. Not sure why, I guess it could be because it's "Deep Water" LR and harder to collect? :huh:

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Personally, I use only small amounts of Tonga in my tank if I find a great piece that stands out on its own. I don't personally like the look of a lot of it in a tank. IMO But $4/lb is a great price compared to what I paid around here in AZ.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Like others I like the look but for overall tank effectiveness I prefer either Marshall Island or Fiji

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
Its funny that you posted that picture because I saw that picture on some other thread the other night and my boyfriend was like "WOW, how did they do that?" And now I have an answer! :D I really like that set up

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
thank you! i picked out the pieces in the store and set it up in the store before i purchased them and took them home...you should either visualize what you want or go to the store and ask to see some pieces you like and tell them to set out some pieces of styrofoam for you so you can set up some rocks on them before you take it home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store