10g split betta tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ensiferous

Brain Crackin'
Mar 19, 2006
SoCal
Within a few weeks, I plan on setting up an old 10 gallon I have with pool sand, a heater, and a tank divider so I can have two 5g areas for Two male bettas. What I was wondering, is if a whisper internal filter that came with my 2.5 mini bow would be enough for both of them? Every betta that Ive ever had hated filters, they would just lay in the far corner of the tank and not do anything, so this seems like it'd be a good candidate because of the low flow and wont blow them around. I don't plan on adding any other fish to this tank, maybe a few shrimp or so.

Also, I have one betta in a 2.5 that I plan on moving that into the 10 once its ready but I don't really have anything for the 2nd betta. The fish store is quite a ways away from my home so going and getting him when the tank is ready is not an option. Would my 5 gallon water change bucket suffice until the water in the 10 was brought up to temperature and the pool sand settles?

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
I have two bettas separated in a 10 gallon tank. They spend a lot of time looking eachother down but don't flare up at each other as much.

I agree with the two filters. I have a whisper filter in my tank and even though the screen has holes in it the water doesn't really to be moving at all in the other half of the tank.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
just make sure the divider is high enough or water level is low enough so that they can't jump over it and get at each other.

bettas generally do fine with filters once they get used to having them. the trouble is they've been stuck in those cups sitting on their butts for so long they almost forget how to swim. that small filter is definitely not enough for the tank, and even if they don't enjoy the current at first with two little filters in there, they'll thank you for it by being a lot healthier overall.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I recommend the two filter idea as well. One for each side. The bettas will get used to it and actually prefer the nice filtered water that the filters will provide for them.

Marinemom

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
I have two male bettas with no filters and live plants. Maybe consider live plants?.
Lucky bamboo doesn't need much light if that's an issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store