what kind of clownfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cathy

AC Members
May 2, 2003
Visit site
Hi all. Looking for advice, opionions etc from the more experienced! I am thinking about adding two clownfish to my 46 gal tank. I have two yellow tailed blue damsels, one chromis, and a few inverts. Even before Nemo came out, my daughter wanted these, and my husband and I agree they could make a potentially nice addition. I am planning to rearrange the rocks when we add them, tho the damsels are still small (we are being good and feed sparingly), hoping to rearrange the territories a bit.
So, tank raised or wild, and what varieties would you recommend? I am looking for happy, hardy, healthy fish; am less concerned about the clownfish/anenome thing. Also, would prefer a variety that stays on the smaller side, if that is a point of difference among the varieties. What do you recommend?

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Captive reared all the way. Much easier to keep and supports captive breeding eforts.
Ocellaris and Percula stay small and are somewhat less aggressive. They are also a lot less expensive than other species and they look like Nemo.
Don't do an anemone. The fish don't need it, and they are much more finicky than the fish.
I'd go with a pair of juveniles. Eventually one will become dominant and become a female, the other will become the male. They always seem to be "happier" with a playmate, although there will probably be a little jostling as they figure out whose boss.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Perculas are good looking fish that can be purchased relatively cheaply, and will make a great addition to you tank. Definitely get captive bred. There are a million reasons captive bred are better, the least of which is that they are easy to feed. If you're going to get two, try to get the same sized fish. Clownfish are hermaphroditic, and when a pair is introduced together they will feel each other out for a while, then one will become female and the other male.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store