Clownfish never move

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ibanezgfx

AC Members
Nov 7, 2005
ive had my clowns for a little over a year now, and i just upgraded my tank to a 75g from a 20L.

ever since ive had them, they stay in the back right corner and go up and down. OCCASIONALLY, very rarely, they will venture out then go back.

every once and a while they will take turns twitching while the other is on top (dominance i suppose), but other than that, they just stay there.

its really annoying me.

anybody know why they do this? every other clownfish ive ever seen has been decently active.

thanks.

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
They may be hosting the corner lol. Clowns will host just about anything. There is one clown at my LFS here that will host on small glass bead in its tank. It just sits there all day and rubs on it.

fastbackgly

Molecular Cell Biology Major
Feb 24, 2006
San Diego, CA
It took my clowns nearly 2 years to get comfortable. They are now not afraid to go anywhere. Don't worry about it.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
WHAT? Mine NEVER SLEEP!!! I was actually going to start a thread about how come they never come to a rest or sleep...I have a mated pair of oscellaris that i have had for a couple weeks now...they never leave eachother's sides and never rest even when lights are totally out. They sure do eat a lot though...they ought to...constantly swimming around and what not...party animals!

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
Mine hosted a corner. the only time they'd come out of their corner is during food time or when I'd introduce a new fish. Dang I miss those little guys :( but I'll be getting more soon.

Jesshika

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California
www.myspace.com
My maroon hosted the corner for a while too but after a few months he started venturing out more. I have an allardi clown that never rests too. He's always constantly swimming n the current. Even the maroon goes in a rock for the night but I never see the allardi ever stop!

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
What else do you have stocked in the tank? Could it be that they aren't feeling safe?

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Do you have any damsels or anything else that might be bugging them? I had a couple damsels that were picking on mine and the female would hide at the bottom while the male protected her from them. I took them out and now they clownfish couldn't be happier!

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
Ya when do you get more fish?
I'm going to wait another month or so before anything goes in the tank to make sure whatever was in, was out of the tank. I'm getting a couple QT tanks set up so when I finalize my stocking list, I'll end up ordering them.

on the topic of the scared clowns . . . I had them in a 30g by themselves for a while and still corner dwellers. They then went into a 75g all by themselves for a little bit, never left the corner. After I added in a lemonpeel angel they came out to investigate then back to the corner. I have 95lbs of rock so I wouldn't imagine it would be a lack of safety factor in a lot of cases. It may be in some, but I think they just sometimes are odd.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store