body fungus treatment

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
I'm hoping someone can advise me on the best treatment for body fungus. One of my rosy barbs has been battling it for a while now. She has little cottom tufts growing on her fins like white fur. It's most certainly fungus. I've recently found that all my other rosies are getting split fins with white edges. I treated with melafix for the last month. Every time I would stop, the fungus would come back. So I finally broke down and got some real meds. I chose API Fungus Cure. I didn't work. IT's been 6 days and there's no sign of improvement.

Has anyone had success with a particular brand? I don't want to just keep trying various meds, stressing the fish and blowing money. Any reccomendations? I did try to get a pic but the darn fish wouldn't stay still long enough for the picture to turn out.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
What are the active ingredients of API Fungus Care? What are your water parameters? Tank maintenance? Filtration? Tank size and fish?

Try the Methylene Blue and Jungle Fungus Eliminator combination. That should kick it within about a week but i would suggest doing it in a QT tank where you can do daily water changes of 50-100% for 7-10 days. They don't need a filter for the QT for that, but an air stone will be needed. That medicine is harsh on plants so use a few rocks or silk plants for shelter/cover in the QT to avoid excess stress. If the entire tank is infected, then I'd have to know what other fish are in the tank before I suggest the medicines. If it is only the rosy barbs in the tank with no live plants, you can treat the whole tank if you want. If you have live plants and prefer to treat the whole tank, they can QT the plants in a bowl of water with sunlight exposure during treatment in the tank and remove carbon for treatment, of course.

Last edited:

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
Active ingredient: 3 mg Victoria Green B and 30 mg Acriflavine
55g with:

5 rosies
3 pepper cories
2 clown loaches (3" each)
2 chinese algea eaters (4" each)
3 banded khuli loaches
1 golden gourami

maintenance: 25-30% water changes weekly
filtration: Cascade 1000 canister

Water parameters

okay I have to confess the only test kits I have are ammonia and PH. I've never really had any problems that required me to get nitrates or nitrites. I know I should have a master test kit. nuff said. Anyhoo, I'm a bit surprised to see that right now my PH is 6.6. It's always run exactly 7.0 in the past. I don't know what kind of factor that is with fungus, but I think I'll add some PH UP. Ammonia is 0ppm.

Thanks for the reccomendation. Sounds like maybe I should put the rosies in my empty 20G and treat them there. The big tank is planted and no one else is showing any sign of being infected.

Last edited:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Please don't use the pH Up. Throw it to the bin. Once the effects wore off, the pH will simply swing harming and subsequently killing the fish.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
okay will do. I didn't realize there was anything wrong with it. Is there something that's better and more natural to increase my PH?
Crushed corals or crushed oyster shells.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store