N brichardi and mollies???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

diavids

AC Members
Jan 14, 2008
Victoria, Canada
I'm not sure if this is a crazy idea or not. I have set up my 30gal high tall for my Neolamprologus brichardi cichlid. I was hoping to get a few other Lake Tanganyikan fish to put in the tank but after trying for a few months of looking locally i have given up. The tank is set up with a few java ferns, lots of rocks but there is quite a bit of swimming space as well. If I got some mollies, how would that work? From from I've read the mollies enjoy the same water conditions as my brichardi. While I like cichlids quite a bit i'm not into aggressive fish, so that is why i'm not into breeding the brichardi. I read they are peaceful when just single. I'm sure these two species are not typically kept together. Can anyone suggest a catfish for the tank, or should I bother. The person at the LFS mentioned, getting a upside down catfish or another synodonitis. I'm getting really frustated as I'm sure the poor fish is lonely by himself.
dianne

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Mollies should be fine with a single brichardi, for that matter so would most other potential tankmates. It's only when you have a breeding pair w/fry that they become a real problem to other fish. Just get several females for each male, mollies can be aggressive buggers too.
Most species of Synodontis would work, S. nigriventris (common upside-down cat) is a social species, best kept in groups. S. multipunctatus and S. lucipinnis (formerly petricola) are also smaller, social species. S. eupterus, angelicus, or the generically-labeled "lace cats" are somewhat larger-growing species, and do fine as singles. I wouldn't recommend S. decorus; they are a social species, and grow to over 12".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store