maroon clownfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
I don't think so...unless you get lucky. If you add them at seperate times there will likely be agression...look for a pair at the LFS that seem to swim together and rub and tell them you won't those 2 specifically.

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
I got one GS maroon and then a month later found a larger one. It was WWIII for a couple days and then they settled down and now are best buds. Didn't take too long for the fins to grow back. If you can't find a pair, definitely get a larger one second so he can stand his ground.

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Generally with clowns, it's best to get two small juvenile fish at the same time and add them together. They are both male at this point but one will eventually become dominant and turn into a female. If you're adding a new one to an already established specimen you're best going for a smaller one so that the female is instantly in charge. That way, there shouldn't be any major fighting, just some dominance displays, shaking etc.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
Large aggressive clowns pair much differently than others like occelaris, so the same methods dont always work. a lot of the time the female will kill the incoming juvinile. The best way to do it is to introduce the smallest moroon (so that the clown will be sexless) you can find in a seperate container so that the female can see it. A tupperware container with holes in it is usualy a good choice. Once she stops beating the container try releaseing the little one. After a while of bashing, she will hopefully stop. If they dont, you will have to bring the small one back and get another one. sometimes it is just the actual clown that you try intorducing for some reason.

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Thats a good tip fishieness. Thanks for sharing!

dolfans1

I'm a victim of coicumstance!
Jun 15, 2005
Safety Harbor, FL
I bought 2 small maroon clowns at the same time at the LFS. They were kept in different tanks at the LFS. The slightly larger one terrorized the smaller one in the quarantine tank. Didn't know if he would make it. I figured once I put them in the 120 g display tank all would be OK, but the larger one continued to beat up on the smaller one for a couple of months. All of it sudden, it stopped, and now the larger one (female) and smaller one are friends.

I think if the they can survive together for the first couple of months, they'll be fine. That first couple months could be rough on one of them though.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Large aggressive clowns pair much differently than others like occelaris, so the same methods dont always work. a lot of the time the female will kill the incoming juvinile. The best way to do it is to introduce the smallest moroon (so that the clown will be sexless) you can find in a seperate container so that the female can see it. A tupperware container with holes in it is usualy a good choice. Once she stops beating the container try releaseing the little one. After a while of bashing, she will hopefully stop. If they dont, you will have to bring the small one back and get another one. sometimes it is just the actual clown that you try intorducing for some reason.
:iagree: that is the only successful way I've heard of doing this with aggressive clowns.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store