Damsels, yes or no

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sixpack_ey

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
I absolutely love damsels- the half blue and the yellow tail blue, for a small reef tank. But, no one else I talk to seems to like them. They say all they are good for is a cycle fish (this is a cruel practice I do not do). They say do not put them in because I will regret it. They say they are bullies and too rambunctious (probably spelled that wrong). But, I love the way they look against the orange clown fish. Can they be tankmates, without stressing the clowns, or is everyone I've talked to right? What if the damsels are added last?

fastbackgly

Molecular Cell Biology Major
Feb 24, 2006
San Diego, CA
If you add the clowns first, then the damsels, the clowns will have already established dominance and will cooperate. If you add them together and they are similar size they will be okay in the long run. The hardest thing is adding clowns after having a damsel in a tank for a long time. Until the clowns grow to a decent size, the damsel will beat them up. This is what happened to my clowns after having a blue damsel in my tank for a few months. The clowns are now around 3 inches and the damsel is around the same size, so they get along great. The 3 line damsel seems to be the tamest.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
some more peaceful damsels would include the honey red damsel, blue reef chromis, blue/green chromis, talbots damsel, amongst others.

stashmoney82

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
cleveland
i love green chromis. every one iv had has gotten along with their other tankmates. the only problems iv had are they seen to bully each other and 1 is always the weak one. also if you want to take them out to make room for different fish, you better plan on reaquascaping your tank because they are fast and tricky. the fish trap iv made has caught lots of fish but never a damsel.

chucke

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
York, Pa
I had a little Pushing In the begging but when i gopt my Yellow tang... they stoped as long as your tank is large enought damsels make Lovely little editions

mr_angryeyes

Don't fear the Reefer
Jul 8, 2007
Parma,OH
I have two yellowtail damsels and two tomato clowns all around 1.5" - 2" in my 55gal. They are fine. They were in a 20L together for about 18 mo. No Problems.

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
i would put the clowns in first then add your yellow tails etc.....remember clown fish are damsels anyway so they should hold their own :)

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
I hate damsels...they are little pests that just start attacking everything for no reason what so ever...just for the sake of doing it out of boredom perhaps...I had a hell of a time getting them out of the tank too...I lured one into the net with food and took the other one out while he was in the live rock...took the whole piece out and he came with it.

cmar

AC Members
May 18, 2007
i started with two damsels; one blue w/ yellow tail, the other a black and white stripe type. added a very small clown a couple months later, and a yellow tang a few mos. after that. the damsels never bothered anyone! even though the clown was only about half their size. they did take notice, though, and i'm sure they had territory issues, but i had plenty of hiding places just in case. today, all is still well, and they all get along just fine!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store