what is a good price for malawi eye biters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
i'm going to get some, what is a good price for 2?

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
alright. i'm gettin some juvis too. they didn't tell me the price, but if $10 is a good price then i'll see if i can get them around that price. i found an LFS that i THINK is near my area. . . so we will see. i will be hopefully getting them this saturday.

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
how do u tell if it is a good, healthy fish? any specific things to look at? and can u tell sex differences at that size?

keiferd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
LI,NY
Visit site
my lfs is selling a 4" one for 15$. I was so pissed too because they just got a bunch of Synodontis Eupterus catfish that they're selling for $5.99 when I just drove 15 miles to another store to buy one for 17$ a week ago.

elementkid65

gill-less
Jul 3, 2007
where ever i am
maales colour up when bigger 5-6" , even then they might not colour up because thhey aren't the dominent one.

look out for head deformations seems to be a problem at some stores.
i picked up my colony lookking for healthy fish no deformations here.
btw my batch of fry is 1" now and going strong.

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
alright. and having 1m/1f isn't a problem? the male won't harass the female at all?

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
What size tank are these eye biters going in and what will be the tank mates? (keeping them with mbuna's isn't recommended due to aggression and dietary differences). Anything less than a 6ft tank would be inadequate. They get fairly large and are active swimmers. A 1 inch eye biter will be 6" in a year (and will still only be half-grown as far as size is concerned).

As with most polygamous-breeder african cichlid species, the fewer the females the greater the aggression/amourous attention the female(s) will receive.

1 female with an over-eager male will receive 100% of that 'attention' (which may range from receiving the male's breeding displays to receiving the male's aggression since certain male african cichilds do not take kindly to unreceptive females).

2 females/1 male reduces that 'attention reception' to 50%, with further reductions for each female added.

Last edited:

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
how do u tell if it is a good, healthy fish? any specific things to look at? and can u tell sex differences at that size?
i know this sounds obvious, but just make sure the belly isn't caved in or any other symptoms of internal parasites, which I've noticed are becoming very prevalent these days in lfs cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store