ideal ocellaris clown diet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tranceFusion

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Frederick, MD
So I just got an ocellaris clown. Everything resource out there says that they are "agressive eaters" and they eat any kind of herbivore diets..

but can someone give me an example nutritional varied diet for them?

and i assume that stuff that doesn't come out of the ocean is out of question (blackworms, bloodworms, etc)?..

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Our ocellaris clowns eat pretty much anything I put in for them... frozen mysis, frozen Formula 1, frozen Formula 2, frozen zooplankton, commercial pellets, and they even munch on the nori I add to the tank for our rabbitfish from time to time. They aren't picky and seem to like the variety.

tranceFusion

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Frederick, MD
how much do you feed at a time? i tried to give him a few flakes so far and he snagged a couple little bits but mostly they just blow around so much with all the flow and end up in the filter floss pretty fast..

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Mine won't touch anything green I put in the tank. They do however seem to like the actual sea grass that I placed in the tank a while back. Lenny seems to munch on it daily. Otherwise they go after mysis, ground up mussles, squid, octopus, scalops.. Pretty much anything and everything in the frozen mix I make up except for the nori.. Won't touch the stuff.

tranceFusion

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Frederick, MD
ok so now i have another problem. I worked so hard to get the flow to skim the water surface for me.. but now the food makes just one loop around the tank and ends up in the filter floss..

I did buy some sinking pellets but the clown doesn't seem to be able to find them once they hit the bottom.

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
usually i "train" my fish to eat whatever i want them to during their time in quarantine... that way, nothing goes to waste when they are in the big tank!

sounds like you may have to find a compromise... the sand bed is better than the filter floss for extra food... your clean up crew should take care of it in the sand...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store