Need Help w/ clownfish and question about filtration

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

somethingpishy1

AC Members
Jan 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
i've had my 10g FO tank w/ 2 ocellaris clowns for 8 months now. about 2 weeks ago my male started to eat less food. I give them a mixture of marine flakes and brine shrimp. now he doesn't even touch the flakes and only eats 1 or 2 brine shrimp and spits out the rest. The female is perfectly fine and eats everything. my water quality has always been good from the start. Ph: 8.3 Ammonia: 0ppm Nitrite: 0ppm Nitrate: >15ppm (has never gone over 20ppm) sg: 1.023 is there anything i can do to get my male to eat? hes getting skinnier

another question i have is about filtration. i currently have 1, 150gph whisper filter w/ an aquaclear sponge for mechanical filtration, 1 100gph cascade filter w/ carbon and a smaller sponge for chemical filtration, and a 120ish gph power head for extra circulation. so a total of 320gph & 32x turn over rate. the noise on the filters is driving me nuts so i was thinking about getting rid of the old filters & pump and getting a penguin 350 since i can get 1 for $26. would that be a good or bad idea?

jagr200

AC Members
Oct 3, 2007
America
Bad because filters on a SW are nitrate traps. Thats why you have 15ppm nitrate. I would suggest adding some LR for awhile and wait for that to catch up to your system. Probably about a month. Then you can totally remove the filters. I removed mine and my nitrates went from 20ppm to 0ppm in 2 days.

somethingpishy1

AC Members
Jan 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
i've been planning on getting LR for a while but its kinda hard to find it around here. I'm waiting for my LFS to get more

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'd try some other foods, mysis instead of brine will also be more nutritous. If he still won't eat it try soaking it in garlic extract.

Although I shoot for 0 nitrates, I'd not worry about the 15ppm you have listed. I would however encourage you to spend the money on live rock. Where do you live? It may be someone in your area or country can recommend sources for you.

somethingpishy1

AC Members
Jan 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
thanks. i'll go pick up some mysis shrimp in a little while and i live in cambridge MA

HiepNotik

AC Members
Jan 12, 2008
Not trying to hijack this thread but I also have 2 clowns in my tank one of them is eating and the other wont eat, I'm feeding it Mysis and NLS. Another things is I have a Koralia 1 in my 10gl, and I'm not sure if the clowns likes it or not but ever since I put them in there they been swimming aganist the current, and not sure if there tired or not but they constantly swimming....does that have anything to do with one of them not eating?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store