Fluval 405 questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rush07

AC Members
Mar 12, 2006
I recently moved and had to break down several tanks and am just getting set up again. I have 2 Fluval 405's which are about 3 years old and that I ran without any issue at the old house. They have been down for about 4 months and I set them back up yesterday and both were leaking badly where the lid comes together with the canister. I am assuming all I need to do is replace the rubber seal. The old ones are not dry or cracked. Could it be something else? The filters have been in freezing temps but they were completely dried prior to storage. Is there any way to refurb the current seals?

Finally, I may use this as a reason to replace both filters and am either looking at the Marineland C-series or the Rena XP2 or 3. The tank is a 92 gallon corner. I know that the general opinion of the Fluvals is that they are inferior though I have never had an issue with them. The C-series is fairly new and I have not heard much about them.

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
you can try using vegetable oil on the rubber gaskets dip your fingers in the oil and pull the gasket through the oil this should help and save you some $ as long as they are not pitted or cracked

rush07

AC Members
Mar 12, 2006
Thanks guys. I am going to see if I can find new seals locally and if not look to replace.

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
That why I said vegetable oil because it will not hurt any thing pluss you are using so small an amount its unlikely to get in the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store