hood design, inspired by Lesbianchap

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
this is the design I think i'm going to go with. I was looking through some threads, and lesbianchap has a great idea, and this hood goes by his design.

Thanks for posting it up LC.

This goes well with the look of my stand (which is posted some threads down)...

The interior of this canopy is 24"X36"X 10"high.

As per LC's design, this setup will have 2 piano hinges; 1 for the first section (reg. feeding) and the second for changing bulbs, cleaning under the hood.

The second hinge will stay in place by a good ol' fashioned bar that I'll place. (kinda the same way car hoods are kept in place.

The back is open, fans on the side, and maybe I'll groove out holes on the top for extra air circulation.

This canopy will hold 2X 250watt MHs, and 2X 39watt T5 attinics.

Thoughts?

hood.jpg hood2.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice....

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Thats really nice. The 2x250's... that's going to be hot even with the fans and the gap at the back. Will you be using pc fans through the side holes, or would you be extracting from the back? Being an IT guy, I think Niko would agree, larger slower fans are better because of longevity, and of course the sound.

I would really like to know how it goes, because I always wanted to do the full cover thing and your design looks pretty smart, but my reluctance has always been the concern with heat and not being able to control the lamp height above the water surface. I do run my halides close to the surface, but that is going to be 10" then your lights, how low profile are they?

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Well, I'm thinking of making the canopy a little taller. the existing 10" clearance will only give me 6 1/2" clearance from the MH bulbs, and that might be a little too close. I'll prob. raise it so I have 12" clearance.

Considering the heat factor, I'm now thinking of going ahead and adding slots on the top of the canopy.

I'll take pics as the build continues, and I'll keep you updated on whether or not I'll be having heat issues once it's on .

thanks.

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Hey Cheech - Go for it. I'll be starting a similar hood within the next 1-2 weekends myself. Perhaps we can benefit from each others mistakes. Um, er, I mean our experiences. :wall:

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Thanks guys!!

It's finally coming together... It's working out as I planned. hopefully I won't have to deal with any unforseen surprises I didn't think of. . . .

Here are 2 pics with the panels which will be screwed on with piano hinges.

IMG_0042.jpg IMG_0043.jpg IMG_0044.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store