Feeding Bolivian ram

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mozart

AC Members
Mar 29, 2007
Delawhere?
Well I made an impulse buy and now have a ram in QT. I'm guessing s/he'll need a buddy and I'm hoping to put them in my 38G eventually. Feeding my existing fish only involves tossing in some pellets and flakes, but clearly things are different with a ram. How do ya get the food to them without getting a ton of food all over the tank? I can see some potential problems with the platies being the piggies that they are.

Chuck_T

AC Members
May 19, 2006
i have 3 bolivian rams and 2 grb the GBR come up and eat the flake food i put in but i had to get little cichlids sinking pellets for the bolivian rams

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
rams will typically feed off the bottom..use sinking pellets I use colorbits.
if you drop flake in it will keep the other fish pre occupied.you can then slip in the sinking pellets.

mozart

AC Members
Mar 29, 2007
Delawhere?
OK. Can cories and rams eat the same pellets? I haven't seen the ram eat a pellet yet ( I put cory pellets in). S/he has eaten some brine shrimp, but ignores most of it (what a contrast to the platies). I had to vac the tank today just to clean out all the extra food from me overfeeding the past few days (just got the fish Tuesday). I was thinking about cutting a cube in quarters and dropping it in the bottom frozen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store