Breeding Siamese Algae Eaters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mermaidgirl

AC Members
Jul 7, 2005
adelaide,australia
Is it difficult to breed SAE's? Are there any distinguishing differences between males and females? If you can breed them, what sort of environment do they like for breeding ie caves,heavy plant growth etc.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I have never heard from anyone who were able to breed them. As far as I know, I have not noticed any sex differences in them.

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
I believe they're bred commercially by hormone injection if I'm not mistaken. I've never heard of them being bred in a home tank.

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
Are there any distinguishing differences between males and females?
Mg:

None of which I am aware based on my experience.

I observed what I believe may have been mating behavior.

A smaller SAE was fluttering it's pelvic fins while are larger SAE was circling it and exhibiting very, very mild aggression.

The smaller fish's abdominal area appeared to be swollen.

I believe that I only noted this behavior because my SAEs typically run and play together.

TR

Apr 2, 2002
New York
From http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/395.htm

There are no external sexual differences until true maturity is reached at approximately three or more years of age. Females are more massive than males with an average mass larger by 30% or so, although overall length is the same. Females are often deeper bodied, and more prone to weight gain. Depending on standard of care , this may not be conclusive . It is possible to "candle " specimens for the presence of eggs by holding a bright light behind the fish, and allowing the eggs periodically held within the females to be seen. A very difficult species to sex accurately.

Breeding:
Not yet recorded in the aquarium with any regularity. In nature females spawn near plants, and males fertilise as would be the expected norm for this type of fish. In captivity females may become gravid but have the ability to reabsorb eggs. The exact prerequisites for stimulating breeding are unknown , although the author has witnessed a laying of eggs. The males made no attempt to fertilise the eggs,and the female ingested the eggs immediately after laying. Almost all specimens of this fish are wild collected, and as such captive breeding is encouraged to relieve pressure on wild populations.

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
So much for the breeding behavior observation and in addition mine are only approximately two years old.

TR

joe4law

Registered Member
Sep 20, 2010
I have about 10 Siamese Algae eaters. I may give breeding them a try but all of the sources so far said not bred in captivity. I did however get some guidance of sorts from eHow.

[h=2]Instructions[/h]
    • 1Set up a tank of at least 30 gallons for a pair of fish. Since Siamese algae eaters (SAEs) are difficult to sex and seem happier in schools, a tank size of around 100 gallons (to house four to six fish) would arguably increase the odds of breeding success. SAEs are also very sensitive to water conditions, and larger tanks are generally less likely to have major fluctuations over time.

• 2Densely plant the tank, preferably with the use of a nutrient-rich substrate. Top rough or rocky substrate with a half-inch layer of sand to prevent your fish from scratching their bellies.

• 3Hook up a high-capacity filter and consider adding a power head (designed largely for saltwater tanks) to one corner of the tank. SAEs inhabit streams and rivers in addition to flooded forest areas in the wild, and keeping part of the tank water flowing at higher speeds may help replicate natural conditions.

• 4Maintain a pH level between 6.0 and 8.0. Hard water can be buffered down with the addition of a little peat moss in the filter bag (add new peat at each water change).

• 5Keep tank temperatures between 75 and 79 degrees Fahrenheit.

• 6Make sure that the tank has had plenty of time to finish cycling before adding any fish. SAEs do not respond well to nitrogen fluctuations that occur in newly established tanks.

• 7Purchase only true Siamese algae eaters. Several other species of fish, including the Chinese algae eater and flying fox, are commonly mislabeled as Siamese algae eaters. Not only do these fish not consume the hair or red algae SAEs are famous for eating, but they are much more solitary and may react aggressively toward their own species. Siamese algae eaters can be identified by their duller colors, transparent fins and single set of mouth barbels (all of the other fish have two sets).

• 8Acclimate the new fish very slowly to your tank. A drip method (where your tank water is dripped slowly into a bucket containing the fish over several hours) works best and prevents unnecessary contamination with pet store tank water, as the fish can be netted out rather than dumped into the new tank.

• 9Feed a varied diet of algae pellets and fresh blanched vegetables in addition to allowing the fish to graze naturally.

• 10Maintain high water quality with frequent, small water changes.

[h=2]Tips & Warnings[/h]

• Remember that even with ideal conditions, some Siamese algae eaters simply won't breed in captivity. Most pet store fish are wild-caught, and without more research into these fish's wild breeding habits, little can be done but to offer them the best care possible and hope for good luck.

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
From http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/crossocheilus-langei/

Sexual Dimorphism

Sexually mature females are normally thicker-bodied than males but it’s impossible to accurately sex young fish by external characters.

Reproduction

Not thought to have occured in the hobby although the young fish widely available in the trade are assumed to be farmed via the use of hormones. Members of this genus are known to undergo seasonal reproductive migrations in nature, moving upstream during the dryer months and in the opposite direction when water levels rise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store