Choosing the right Clown ......

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mike_yo

AC Members
Jan 16, 2008
I'm looking to purchase a clown in the very near future and I was wondering what everyones opinion was on the Percula and Ocellaris (spelling?) species. I know they are both similar in looks, but is one hardier than the other? Will either host in the green bubble tip I currently have? What type of anenome will they host in?

Also, I read somewhere that tank raised clowns are less likely to host than the other variety. Any opinions on that?

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I suggest you get a tank raised ocellaris. Much better survival rate and the bonus of not taking from the ocean. They may or may not use your bta as a host. But typically a clown in an aquarium will adopt anything from a coral to a corner of the tank to a powerhead as it's host.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I have one of each with the Percula becoming the dominant female.. She is warming up to Michaelangelo the male and they are currently hosting in my colt coral - sigh... I have purchased an RBTA which really is to small at this point but they do swim up and look at it from time to time.

Once my RBTA gets big enough I'm going to try and remove it from the tank, place the RBTA into the spot (or somewhat close) to where the colt coral resided and see if they take up hosting.

But Grins is right it is much better to go for aquacultured fish instead of reef capture and they are a much hardier fish. I've just been somewhat lucky.

Mike_yo

AC Members
Jan 16, 2008
I'll have to check again, but I'm pretty sure both species for sale there are tank raised. I'm not sure if I prefer the orange, or the black though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store