african cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue_convicts

Banned
Sep 4, 2007
hi,
i wanted some :help:,
Can anyone tell me how to sex blue cobalts????????.....
one is getting an egg spot... but one might mean it is a girl????
well... HELP!!! :confused:

Woofy

Registered crazy
Jun 30, 2006
Miami
www.myspace.com
from what i remember about blue cobalts is that both sexes have eggs spots so its a bit hard, usually there are much fewer if any one compared to the other.

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
egg spots don't necessarily mean female. my male snow white socolofi has 3 egg spots while my female only has one. (unless males carry the eggs for the females, which i don't think is the case for their species)

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
so are u saying that socolofi and cobalts are related in that sense?

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
A matured cobalt zebra will be a more vibrant blue (the females won't be as vibrant, and might even be a little grayish).

Even so, variations may include some overlap between the gender colors, so you'll also have to take fin shape and behavior into account: matured males may have pointed fin tips and proportionately larger pelvic fins; when matured they'll seek out the females and/or ward off rival males.

With small juvie cobalts it might be a while before gender differences become apparent.

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
The only sure fire way to knowing the fish's sex is by the method of venting. I'm guessing that you would need to wait for it to sexually mature in order to see if they are males or females.

blue_convicts

Banned
Sep 4, 2007
they aren't striped they are just blue cobalts
ok so hopefully i get some with no egg spots and another one with a lot!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store