150 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mrhirsch

AC Members
Jan 29, 2008
How many African Cichlids should I put in this size tank. I have about 80 pounds of rock and 3 different cave spots. I have three right now. A light blue one a yellow and a brown. Also should I be concerned about species and male female ratio? Thanks for any suggestions!

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
not enough caves imo. when u say rock u mean lava? u want to have more yellow than any other because they are really skittish. i wud recommend either 4 more yellows, 2 blues, and 1 malawi eye biter or 1 red devil, OR return your other fish and get 1 breeding pair of malawi eye biters or 1 breeding pair of red devils. (IMHO eye biters look nicer than red devils and don't get as big.)

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
You have to tell us what the fish's scientific names are, just by listing their colors won't tell much of their behaviour, etc. If you're not sure start an ID thread.

Also I wouldn't put a CA cichlid into an african/mbuna tank.

AquariumNoob13 both RD's and d.comps get to around a foot in length and I'd be cautious putting either of them into a tank with smaller fish.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
For the best success keep same type and sub-type fish (same type: african cichlids with african cichlids, etc; same sub-type: peacocks with peacocks, or mbuna's with mbuna's, etc).

Assuming your african cichlids are mbuna's you can add quite a few more mbuna's in your 150gal for a total of two or three dozen.

As far as species selection goes, that will depend on what you want to stock and how much aggression you're willing to have in your tank. I highly suggest accurately identifying the cichlids you intend to get and knowing what to expect from them prior to purchase. Otherwise you could pick up undesireable hybrids, acquire extremely aggressive species, or purchase fish which get too large or may be incompatible with what you already have.

When have an idea of what species you want (based on color AND aggression level), stock the tank with the most peaceful species first, and save the aggressive one's last.

Then balance potential aggression with larger groups of mildly aggressive fish and smaller groups of more aggressive species, for example: acei's and yellow labs, each in groups of 8 and smaller groups (4-5 of more aggressive species). Several females per male will help minimize hybridization (if you intend to breed them) and prevent males from singling out and harassing specific females or specific rival males. There are all sorts of combinations you could go with, the above was just a sample.

If I am to understand correctly the only fish in your 150gal are the three cichlids? Can you post pics of them?

elementkid65

gill-less
Jul 3, 2007
where ever i am
no red devils have you seen how phycho they get?
a foot+ would eat mbuna for food.
eyebiters are making my 5x2x2 look small

geez
aquariumnoob13 im glad you have that name

plz no more ca/sa suggestions to african cichlid tanks.

a red devil needs a 55+ alone

i also agree what kay-bee says

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store