RCS with filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

---MR.CLEAN---

Ace Ventura Pet Detective
Sep 4, 2007
Ventura CA
Okay I got a used 11 gallon tank today along with cash because its my B-Day. Well my mom thinks im crazy because this is going to be the 4th tank in the apartment but WAHOO! WELL im planning on keeping the shrimp in the 11 gallon maybe with zebra danios (is it okay to keep zebra danios with the cherry shrimp?) and I have a question about the filter. Wouldnt the filter suck up the baby shrimp in the tank? So what should I do? Maybe wrap a fry net over the part were the filter sucks up the water? You guys know much more about them then me so please any ideas? Here are photos of the tank there will be plants in there too and plant substrate.
Thanks
Pasha

P2040124.JPG P2040125.JPG P2040126.JPG P2040127.JPG P2040128.JPG P2040129.JPG

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I use sponges designed for aquaclear filter, you can cut them to size and they work very well. If you are going to have moss or lots of plants I don't think the danios will be too much of a problem. They will try to eat juvie/baby shrimp but as long as their is ample cover the shrimp should be ok. Make sure the tank is fully cycled before adding shrimp as they do not tolerate fluctuations in water conditions.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
I agree, sponge the intake, and either no danios or alot of plant cover. In my experience with danios and shrimp, is to leave the fish out. The shrimp will be out and about more.

---MR.CLEAN---

Sep 4, 2007
Ventura CA
okay thanks I will leave the danios out and I will try putting a fry net over the intake of the filter and see if that works
cycling right now too

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
Either a sponge over the intake, or use a sponge filter. My shrimp love to pick at the sponge filter for food, plus there's no way they can get hurt. Dirt cheap too.

Love your avatar btw mr.clean :)

---MR.CLEAN---

Sep 4, 2007
Ventura CA
lol thanks I wish i could switch the mr.clean to Ace Ventura thats my favorite movie
okay well this weekeend I will work on the tank I will put a sponge around it or a filter bag thanks for all the ideas and I will be switching the gravel i dont like the colorfull type its not natural

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store