Haha! New fish, new fish! Fish compatibility questions!!About Tetras & etc!Tropical!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Hello hello my fellow aquaria friends! :). So far when i removed the sand from my 55 gallon tank, things are shaping back up as I expected!!!I use small spectra stones instead of sand now. You see, since my tank's back to it's normal self, I decided to buy......Neon Tetras!,2 Koi Angels, 1 Silver Dollar (in replacement of my dead SD...may he rest in peace),and 1 small coryfish to addition to my 55 gallon with my lonely 1 silver dollar (Metynnis argenteus) peaceful SD of mine,the only time he goes outta whack is when I turn my lights on, and one brown bristlenose pleco. Ahh yes, the Neon tetras. Have a whooping 27 of them in my 55 gallon;LFS employee gave me a nice discount of all of them, so i couldn't close down the offer he gave me. Soo..!@_@ May I ask if thats way, waay, waaay, waaaay too much Neons? Or is that just fine if you feed all of them with a reason amount of food, and keep the water parameters good? I have 2 fluval canisters that are filtering approximately 120 gallons. As for the small Koi angels, they are looking very good and peaceful at the moment, and they are looking very intrigued and happy about my driftwood and plants, making discoveries and such, coming up to me when i go near the tank :D Im happy i got them 2. i probably don't have to worry about them too much;knowing they show peace. The coryfish is about 1 and a half inch, he is a scavenger, Im actually quite worried if he might grow up too big!!

Okay here are my fish in my 55 gallon right now:

27 Neon tetras
2 Koi Angels
2 Silver dollars
1 Brown Bristlenose pleco
1 Coryfish

Now tell me guys. Is this considered A-Okay? I know for a fact that SD's get big, but I believe mine can get to a reasonable adult size in the future. if they do grow way too large..I have no choice but to remove them.

So there's one thing im worried about...thats the Neon tetra stocking. Everyone is getting along fine. No fish aggression in my tank whatsoever. SO YEAH 27 tetras!! X_X :devil:.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Actually the SD's scientific name is METYNNIS HYPSAUCHEN. Not the Metynnis argenteus.

EDIT..
Arent they the same

Last edited:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Angelfish and neons should never be mixed. You have to realize neons are the angelfish's natural prey and they will sooner or later prey on those fish. I don't see a problem with the others. It should be fine with the exception of either the neons or angels whichever you want moved. I'm afraid you cannot mix them long-term. Add more corydoras.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Actually the SD's scientific name is METYNNIS HYPSAUCHEN. Not the Metynnis argenteus.

EDIT..
Arent they the same
Do you have pics of your silver dollars? I believe both are synonymous.

tjg2007

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
I have a single angel in my 55 with neons for a while now and no issues with the angel eating them yet. Of course I have only had 3 neons in the tank the whole time he has been in there due to the school being thinned out by the opaline gourami that was in there previously. The only thing the angel has gone after so far are the guppy fry when they appear.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I'll side with Lupin on this.. in general..you should not mix angels with Neon tetras.

yes , sometimes they will be fine..but IME, it is a bad mix..particularly when the angels get big.
they are prone to eat anything they can fit in their mouths. the neons tend to run under 2" in length making them just the right size for food.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I second what has been said about the neons, and also about adding more cories...shoot for 6+. I'd personally be happy with the angels, tetras and cories, without the SDs, they kind of pull focus off the angels, but thats just me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store