i think its ich?? please HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aznknight

AC Members
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
i recently got 3 baby orandas and one fantail and they reside in a 10 gallon tank........in which i didnt cycle first before putting them in :( ....yah i know its bad mistake.........anyways i have had the fish for about 2 weeks now.......last week........i find to lil green disc shape parasites stuck to my fishes tails.........:mad: and i removed them by hand.......a total of 3 removed........and the fish seem fine but now.........2 of the fish have devloped tiny one specks on the fins.........and i thought it was ICK and went out and bouth quick cure.........and used it for 3 days.........but the spots r still there.........i have changed the water..........clean the gravel a bit..........and add salt and trying another dose of the quick cure............any suggestions to what i can do to make the situation better??? i would love to get advice from u goldfish pros out there =)

aznknight

AC Members
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
one more thing

i never thing i would like to ask is.......how r u suppose to feed frozzen food to your fish??? do u let it thaw first??? i purchased these small ice cube shaped froozen food from my local pet store

avoxo

FORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2003
North Providence, RI
Visit site
Hello aznknight, if your fish have ick, raising the temperature of the tank to 80-85 degrees will quicken the life cycle of the ick. Read the directions of the medication. I have never used medication for ick just a 3-6% salt solution and it takes about 7-10 days to clear up.

Those little green parasites sounds like argulus or fish lice. I would keep a close eye because it reproduces quickly. The white specks on their tails could be argulus. Keep us up to date.

As for the frozen food I take a cup of tank water and add a cube to it. Once it dissolves I add it to the tank.

Last edited:

aznknight

AC Members
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
i see..........just using salt eh?? i put in 2 spoons of salt..........may i ask how your salt method works?? maybe i will try raising it to 80 degree water

avoxo

FORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2003
North Providence, RI
Visit site
You should finish the Quick Cure treatment first and if you still have the ick try this (if it is ick).
Salt treatment for ick, do a 40% water change, slowly raise the temperature to 80-85 degrees. Grab a bucket 3/4 full of tank water and add 1 teaspoon of AQUARIUM SALT per gallon of water in your tank (10 gallon tank= 10 teaspoons), mix it well and add the solution to your tank. You will do this 2 more times in 12-hour intervals, so in 36 hours you will have a .3% solution of salt in your tank. Do not do any water changes for 5-7 days feed lightly and it will clear up the ick. The key is to keep the temperature at or above 80 degrees that speeds up the life cycle of the ick. Good luck and keep us up to date

aznknight

AC Members
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
how can i determine if its ick??? or the other parasite u mention? they look like little grains of salt...........which other proclaim to be ick..........so im not sure.......

aznknight

AC Members
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
well i finished the quick cure cycle yesterday........which is my 2nd cycle.........and the ich is still there........for now im just going to stick with salt..........and leaving the temp @ 81 degree...........dont wanna use any more quick cure stuff smells.........and i read to much is just harsh on fish gills

avoxo

FORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2003
North Providence, RI
Visit site
Sorry it took me so long to respond. The bucket should be filled each time you add the salt. As for identifing it I use a small plastic microscope that I paid $15.99 at toys r us and it does the job.

aznknight

AC Members
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
my tank is currently...........10 gallons and like u said every 12 hours or so.........i changed about............25 to 30% of the water........with water that has been mixed with salt..........and i have used up all the of the big bucket.........now i have left the water as is.....and left the heater on.........and the temp is @ 81.........the heater cant seem to push any warmer.........i have notice very very slight improvement...........seems to be less white dots........the fish is probaly the most active in the tank........even thou the others dont have ich.........anyways the fish with ich is my favorite of the all so i hope i can make it over the hurdle
thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store