Kribensis Cichlid - female pregnant?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hungriee

AC Members
Jan 24, 2008
NYC
My uncle bought a small (1") Kribensis Cichlid today. I've noticed it has a pink belly. The body is very round more like a cylinder.. does anyone know how I can tell if the fish is pregnant or not?

When it was introduced to the new tank, it swam to a corner near plants and rocks and began nipping other fish to get away from her. Im thikning she was being territorial but not sure if she is actually old enough to have fry.

He only got a female from the store - but he said there were many Kribs in the tank and some had pink bellies and others were more pale (assuming its a male)

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Kribs do not get the pregnant nor do any other cichlids. They simply lay eggs and will be fertilized if a male is present. Kribs however being very eager to breed can become problematic when kept in a pair as they will become very aggressive during spawning season.

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
Well, judging by my kribs breeding and behaviour, they like to have a cave (in my case, a fake ornament cave thing) to spawn in. They won't spawn on leaves or the bottom of the tank. Also, the female will almost arch her body and "shake" or "vibrate" in front of the male to get his attention, if he isn't already interested in her. Then she swims into the cave and the male follows her. She will swim in and out several times and usually I can tell when there are eggs in the cave because she pretty much stays in the cave the whole time for about 2 or 3 days (i don't see her) and the male almost seems to guard the cave. Then a few days later there are babies! Yay. Males have a longer pointed dorsal fin and the pink on their bellies is not as bright, their tails are also more pointed or spade shaped where the females tails are round. The first pic is a Male (his tail has a chunk missing, the tails aren't normally like that) and the second is the female. Hope this was kind of the answer you were looking for??

more randoms 011.jpg Kribensis, gourami 009.jpg

Hungriee

AC Members
Jan 24, 2008
NYC
Thanks Erin14. your response was very very informative =).

I've monitored it most of tonight and the krib has been very territorial against other fish and has declared her home under a cave created through stacks of rocks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store