My Paludarium Design

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Phyroath

Senior knowledge seeker
Jan 30, 2008
Phnom Penh
Just wanna share with everyone my paludarium design. I am planning to turn my old 29 G tank into a paludarium. Not very sure of how I can do that and having all the materials I need. I dream of a small hut near a waterfall with white sand and plants all around. I drawn the picture simply in powerpoint.
Please give me comments on how can I make it / Improve the look of it. :help:

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
wow. pretty good for powerpoint! you should try your hand at photoshop, probably a bit easier!

looks like a fine plan, although it's hard to see how your space will really pan out in 3 dimensions. one thing I'd reccomend is to make sure you can service your filter easily... I've been tempted to hide the filter under land areas, but have shyed away so far, because I worry about mainenance. I'd go with an external canister if possible.

you might also consider an alternative to slate. not that I think slate will look bad, but in nature slate occurs in a more horizontal fasion, and I think it looks out of place when the grain is used vertically... unless of course, if you're considering building a stacked slate wall, which would look beautiful, but would be a huge effort.

Phyroath

Senior knowledge seeker
Jan 30, 2008
Phnom Penh
Thanks - I see your point. I would try to have something alternative to slate. It is the size of my old tank that I really worry about as I want bigger space for air plants and sand. Surely the filter wire will be hide under the waterfall to the wall outlet but I not sure the current would do well to the inlet. I want to cut the land part into 2 so that I can construct a bridge but unless I have a long tank. Will start working on my plan soon - now collecting air plants that does not grow tall.

hatstalker

AC Members
Dec 14, 2008
Im gonna be making a paludarium soon aswell but my plan is to use silliconed bogwood to hold up foam sealed in epoxy or sillicone with a layer of sand on.
the waterfall idea is good but think about where your filter is going.
i suggest an external to.
go for as much water as you can and have a land platform glued onto the tank sides with epoxy resin so you get more space for fish and amphibians to swim in.
other considerations in setting up a paludarium are; ventilation, tepurature and maintanace.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store