massive bubble algae infestation argh, and advice?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

srossnz

AC Members
Aug 28, 2007
It looks to be beyond taking out rocks and scrubbing etc, it's just everywhere tiny ones all over everything. Water params look fine no nitrates, nitrites, ammonia or phosphates. I have heard emarld crabs help but can't get them in NZ and I have hear foxface will eat them, maybe i can find one of them? Should I start running a phosban pack in my sump, would that keep things neutral until I can find something that will eat it? ugh

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
Bubble algae is a nightmare it spreads like wild fire even more is you pop any & the spores escape into the water stream.......

yeah emerald crabs will eat them but there are a lot of tiny emerald crabs around that don`t do a lot towards them so you would need several & there becoming a shortage in the UK too.....

Some people say emerald crabs just pop bubble algae rather than eat it but some how if you have a large one they do keep bubble algae at bay....

foxface/rabbit face fish are algae eaters & have a really good chance of ridding your tank of bubble algae & Tangs are also a good chance but there's always the rare foxface/rabbit face/tang that won`t touch the stuff but your best chance is the fox or rabbit but they do get really LARGE so if your tank is small make sure you can return it to the store & remember they both carry a massive positions sting......

Last edited:

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Well I don't know if this will work for you, but I did get one bubble from a group of hairy mushrooms that I got from a club freebie. I used a small pair of tweezers and grabbed it at the base and pulled it off of the rock.. I must have popped it a little because once in my tank I ended up with a second one. I did the same but poured some RO/DI water over the surface after removal and haven't seen any more since. (This was well over 45 days ago). But after reading from others I was very.. very.. careful.

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
I had a problem but I was able to nip it early, I did the method Subliminal mentions but I also ran a UV Sterilizer to kill any water born spores.

srossnz

AC Members
Aug 28, 2007
thanks guys.

so you ran the sterilizer during the outbreak and while you worked to clean the outbreak? And do you still run it or was it just in operation for a few months?

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Check out this thread I made a while back:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137907

Basically, I made that device and every time I do a water change, I use that tube as a syphon, and I scrape my rocks of bubble algae. You might not get it all at first, but if you keep on it it'll go away eventually. We call it 'nutrient export'. ;)
Thanks for that sub. I have a few bubbles so I'll be making one of those tomorrow and giving it a go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store