Hermie peacock cichlid?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

losthere

AC Members
Jan 25, 2005
I bought a red pecock many months ago from the lfs. It was the brightest most dominate fish in their tank. It had a blue face with the brightest red body it seemed to glow, and had a huge top fin. It was and is 4-5" fish, not the biggest fish in my tank but on the bigger side. i knew it had a chance to lose its colors for a while, and hopefully regain some color over time. It did loose its color, compleately, and the top fin seems smaller more rounded not like that of a male. To top it all off tonight when feeding I noticed that it was holding! WTF! am i going crazy? I have never heard of this happining, i dont even know if it is genetically and or phyically possible. I have had females that had fry before, i even have 3 fish from a female that survived into adulthood. They somehow survived the filters, powerheads, and other fish. I know he/she/it is holding, can anybody tell me what is going on.

losthere

AC Members
Jan 25, 2005
Update: I have fry swimming around my tank!?? My all male peacock tank!??(oh yes,th i almost forgot there are some other species of male malawi and tang species...lol) Anybody heard of this? Anybody know the biology of cichlids enough to tell me that there is no way this can happen? Or maybe can happen. Have I just been a witness to something very rare? Any info?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
if you has some pictures of your fish that might help. . .

losthere

AC Members
Jan 25, 2005
I can post pics but just imagine the most bad @$$ red male peacock and then now it looks like and is a female. I was holding fry and she/was a he released them and they are swimming around the tank taking refuse in the rockwork. I saw two get picked off already. it would be cool to see if any survive I have had three do it before. A male cichlid changing sexes anyone heard of that????

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store