"Flora Base" vs. Flourite/etc.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
I have been reading adds (there's the problem;) ) and looking at prices and such in catalogues (Dr. Foster/Smith), and have seen that Flora Base by Red Sea is the most expensive substrate out there! I have Flourite Red mixed with sand in one of my tanks, and have heard numerous raves about Flourite/Onyx, and even a little about EcoComplete lately, but never anything about Flora Base. Anyone have any experience with it?

One of their claims is that it maintains a stable 6.5 to 7.0 pH. Another is that it does not require additional CO2 systems. Is this just saying that you don't "need" to have it, or that the substrate itself offers some form of carbon to the plants? If it offers small amounts of carbon itself, then this would be ideal for low light tanks or for those who don't want to invest in pressurized systems yet!

I'd love to hear any feedback on this stuff!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Anyone ??

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Argh! I was hoping for some answers too!!

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Not adding CO2 is an issue of light, not substrate. What intensities are they talking?

Add enough light etc, you will have to have that CO2, no way the substrate can supply it at the rate needed. CO2 is CO2. That's what plants will use.
Adding CO2 will help even down at 1 w/gal as far as plant health and growth is concerned, especially with some species.

Touting it as a CO2 replacement is simply wrong. But saying you "don't need to add CO2" to grow plants _can be_ said.

Claiming the pH will just to 6.5-7.0 is somewhat misleading. After a month of water changes, the pH will not be that level if I did my water changes with tap that's hard and a pH of 8.1. The buffer neutralizing ability and the carbon supply ability is not going to all come fron this small amount of substrate for long. Things have to be replaced at the rate they are removed.

Think about it.

Now when folks claim things that don't make much sense I tend not to trust and become more suspicious of what they say.

I can claim the same for pH stable 6.5 and Flourite.

Try it out and see. It's has not been on the market all that long.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Sumpin'fishy

Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
This substrate is a bit to expensive to buy as an exclusive substrate for my 55 gal and "try it out".:) I may buy 2 bags and then add 3 bags of Flourite. Can't really mess up too bad, then!;)

BTW, does that sound like it's going to be about the right amount of susbstrate? I would like to have a 3" front sloping up to a 6" rear. I want to really get some slope going in this tank! That should average out to about 4.5" worth of substrate all over, just to be safe. Of coarse I will have one large (roughly 10"x10"x10") boulder in the tank, along with lots of driftwood and natural caves/etc. To make this simple: how much do I need to fill a 55 gallon to 4"? I will also add a half inch or so of peat to the bottom.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
From my experience with 55's(and I have two), I would say that
you will need 70 - 75lbs. to accomplish your mission.
Don't quite understand why you want to put peat in the bottom of the tank, but let us know how it works out.
Len

Sumpin'fishy

Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
Thanks for the amounts, Len. The peat is used for nutrients in immature substrates. Plantbrain has talked lots about it.....I'm sure you've read it before, but maybe just forgot. He talks about using mulm from a disease-free tank and a "handfull" (I think that's for 20 to 30 gallon tanks) of peat in the bottom, under your substrate. If you have a matured substrate, it's probably not of much use.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Try a couple of handfuls of ground peat for a 55gal, you don't need more really unless it's a non CO2 planted tank.

I think using the product is fine etc, but I just would never rely on their claim I don't need to add CO2. I can say that about any substrate.........I can also claim "no water changes for 6 months!" Doesn't mean it's a good idea in many cases generally.

But this substrate will not harm anything.
5 bags should do pretty good for a 55 gal.

Regards,
Tom Barr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store