28G Hex Tank Startup Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

agentgreen

AC Members
Aug 14, 2007
Hey all. Been reading the forums for a while now, and figured I'd finally contribute!

Just got a 28G (or so) hex tank plus stand from a buddy, and am beginning to start it.

I refinished the stand, and painted the trim on the tank. Buddy also gave me the great piece of driftwood in the tank.

Have an Eheim 2213 Canister filter, with a Hydor ETH 200 In-line heater. Experiencing a leak with one of the quick disconnects on the filter. Tried teflon tape, and the leak seems to still be there, albeit much, much slower.

The inline heater is great, takes one more thing out of the tank.

Substrate is Eco-complete, which I'm new too. Great stuff I think. Much smaller granulars which should help with planting, and I didn't even have to wash the stuff before putting it in the tank. It comes with this "Blackwater" stuff in the bag, which keeps it moist.

Lighting is a 250W Metal Halide, which was appropriated from a friend who used it....*ahem* for other things :) I'm going to build a hood to house the light, so you don't see this ugly reflector sitting on top of a great looking tank.

Since this is my first ever hex tank, I'm open to plant suggestions. This tank will house (eventually) 5-6 dwarf puffers. These fish require a lot of line-of-sight distractions, so I'm hoping to heavily plant this thing.

Let me know what you think! Here are some pictures:

IMG_7609-SMALL.JPG IMG_7610-SMALL.JPG IMG_7611-SMALL.JPG IMG_7612-SMALL.JPG IMG_7613-SMALL.JPG

FishmanATL

Registered Member
Feb 6, 2008
Plants

AgentGreen-

It looks like your buddy set you up pretty good....tank, stand, driftwood, lighting. Since he's so darn nice, why don'/t you ask him for plants for your tank, too? How about those mollies in the tank, did he give you those, too?! What a guy.

FishmanATL

agentgreen

AC Members
Aug 14, 2007
AgentGreen-

It looks like your buddy set you up pretty good....tank, stand, driftwood, lighting. Since he's so darn nice, why don'/t you ask him for plants for your tank, too? How about those mollies in the tank, did he give you those, too?! What a guy.

FishmanATL
Eh, he really isn't that nice...he has a thing against Pink Floyd I'll never understand ;)

Now, about those plants..... :)

dreadboy113

AC Members
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich. UK
Love the driftwood. Do you know what plants you are going for yet?

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
As far as the plants are concerned you can start with something easy that grows tall such as anacharas(elodea) and hornwort and some other plantings for the front that do not grow as tall such as java moss. There are others.

Marinemom

agentgreen

AC Members
Aug 14, 2007
As for plants, I'm still kind of up in the air. I'm pretty sure I want a grass-like plant for the foreground. Since the tank is so tall, I don't mind foreground plants a little bit taller. Java moss was something I considered, as well as dwarf grass and dwarf sag.

Going to go buy some rocks now to help with the hardscape.

More pictures soon!

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Java moss and java fern should take off like wildfire if you attach it to the rocks or the driftwood. This way it won't float all over the tank too. You can attach it with regular sewing thread. The plant will grow over it and the rest will just disinigrate so you won't need to remove it once the plant or plants are doing well.

Marinemom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store