Kribensis Cichlid Chasing off Tiger Barbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hungriee

AC Members
Jan 24, 2008
NYC
Its been 3 days since my uncle got this new fish, Kribensis Cichlid (about 1" big) and it has become a monster in the tank. The Tiger barbs are running away into rocks and driftwood and plants to hide & the Krib would continually chase after them; haven't nipped them yet. However they have nipped one of the cories dorsal fin :help: Each time a cory stands in its way the Krib would shove his head or try to nip the sides of the cory. This sterbai cory now has red marks. WE tried putting the Krib into a isolated tank area by a divider and it looked dead all by itself; barely swam and just laid on the gravel.

Should we return the Kribensis? Would it eventually hurt the other fish too (GBR, Parrots, Cory Catfish)? So far no fish looks hurt but teh small cory with a nipped dorsal ( but the cory is still swimming happily ).

How should I treat the ripped fins? :headshake2: and what should my uncle do w/ the kribensis ? We dont want any fish to die from stress .... :eek:

gvildawg

AC Members
Mar 6, 2007
Greenville, SC
www.myspace.com
I'd suggest returning it or adding another Krib or two so that it has some of its own kind to focus its attentions on. Nipped fins should grow back on their own.

nmrsco

AC Members
Jan 6, 2007
rhode island
kribs seem to like to chase smaller fish like barbs and danios but they rarely do much harm. if it is causing real damage than return it, but they are a really nice fish

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I would prefer you return the krib to the petstore if it has cause you enough troubles. Not worth stressing other fish with its presence in my opinion unless you have a spare tank where you can place giant danios or Congo tetras instead for dithers. Both mentioned are able to defend themselves from any possible aggression on the krib's part.

blasterman_

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
This is a weird Krib. Must be one of those 'puppie mill' variety :)

I've had many of the years, and much larger. While they'll occasionally chase other less aggresive tank mates, they usually aren't very ambitious about it and don't do damage. A school of tiger barbs is usually more effort to chase than my kribies will bother with.

If we had a breeder pair things would obviously be different, but a solo male acting like this is a bit odd. You might need to return this one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store