if you know a fish is dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
Letting anything suffer is not very nice IMO. Personally if I know it is doomed I will do it in. Usually, all you squemish folks should skip this part, I just throw them at a concrete floor. It is over in an instant. As far as an easier way you just place the fish in a bag or other water container and place it in the freezer. As the water cools the fishes metabolic rate slows down till all functions cease. An easy alternative for folks who can not bring themselves to do it. Another alternative, should you have access to a fish tranqualizer is to OD the fish on that.

Last edited:

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Flushing a fish is not acceptable unless dead. Fish can live for hours after. So for the fishes last hours it is not only sick but terrified too.
I put the fish in a glass of vodka, the fish will almost instantly be euthanized.

undertow

Factory sealed for your protection
Dec 4, 2002
Las Vegas,NV
Visit site
Alka-Seltzer,or Vodka and clove oil...
It is a touchy situation,but when there are no other options....

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
I had to put one of my discus down last week. I did the vodka and freezer combo. It went pretty quick.

You should have seen my wife though when she came home. She went to the freezer to get something and found it. She didn't know it was in there. I thought she was going to cry. :( By the look on her face I swear that she lost one of her kids. She asked me not to take care of it if she was around.

oscar andy

I'm with stupid^
Jan 16, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
put the fish in a bag the pour in some backing soda. Suposedly they when they breath it in it prevents there gills from geting oxgen. Then you put them in the freazer, this combo kills them pretty quick

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store