What sex are my electric yellow?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Banchee

Registered Member
Feb 6, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
I've just recently been given 2 electric yellows and want to know what sex they are. How do I tell the difference? One of them is a very vibrant yellow and the other is a pale yellow with a blue sheen. They both have black on their anal fins and ventral fins, althought the brighter yellow one has less on the ventrals.

IMGP0795.JPG

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
The genders of this species are very similar in appearance and quality can blur physical distinctions (a high quality female can appear more vibrant than a standard male, and a high quality male will be more vibrant than a low quality male). If I had to guess I'd say the pale one is female (based on the proportionately smaller pelvic/ventral fins). Hard to make a call on the other since the pelvic fins aren't extended down.

Inconclusive gender deterimation based on the photo, however. You may be able to gain some clues based on their behavior.

Last edited:

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Mbuna's, though aggressive, are social fish. In many cases particular genders will behave a certain way toward members of their own as well as different genders:

a. when matured/maturing, males will challenge each other for dominance, in the form of intimidation displays to downright fighting. The males do not have to be of the same species.

b. when matured/maturing, males will attempt to attract females by displaying, or in some cases, driving off non-receptive females.

c. mbuna's of both genders may behave territorial or attempt to dominate each other.

It takes some time to interpret these behaviors and correlate them to a particular gender, but while their genders may be unclear to us, they're extremely clear to the fish themselves, so observing how the act and interact offers clues (especially with matured fish).

Banchee

Registered Member
Feb 6, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
Unfortunately the paler of the two killed the other one. Guess any gender issues are irrelevant now huh? Oh well. This one seems happy on his/her own so I think I'll just keep the one. Thanks for info :uhoh:

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Unfortunately the paler of the two killed the other one. Guess any gender issues are irrelevant now huh? Oh well. This one seems happy on his/her own so I think I'll just keep the one. Thanks for info :uhoh:
Oh, I didn't know these were the only two african cichlids you had (I was under the impression the two were added to a tank already containing other african cichlids.

These type of fish (mbuna's) don't do well in small numbers since small groups (2-3, etc) amplify aggression (and to give you an idea, the yellow lab is typically cited as one of the more peaceful mbuna species). Best kept in groups of at least 6 or more and in tanks at least 55gal or more. The living one is most likely a male (for future reference).

Keeping this one in a solitary set up will work though (although they're social fish, despite the aggression).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store